Painting jeep fenders

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Switzerland
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:30 pm
Hi Everyone, I am new to body work and am looking for some advice on an upcoming project. I recently moved to Switzerland and was quoted 800 Swiss franks (over 1000 dollars Canadian) to paint my two new jeep fenders so i've decided to paint them myself. The two fenders are powder coated black from the factory and I will be painting them PW1 Stone White. I'll list the steps and products I plan on using and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The fenders look like this http://www.jeepwranglerfenders.com (the fender flares and hood cover most of them so there is only a small part of them that need to look good)

I plan to use a enamel paint rather then base coat clear coat system to lessen the chances of making a mistake with the clear coat.

Step one - lightly wet sand fender with 500 grit, wipe off with wet cloth then with lacquer thinner then with tack cloth.

Step two - (Do I need to use sealer or can I go straight to primer?) Spray with primer, 2 coats then wet sand 500 grit and clean with wet cloth, thinner, tack cloth. (should I sand between the two coats of primer or just after the second one?)

Step three - Spray with finish paint, 3 coats possibly adding more thiner to the final coat for a smoother finish (careful of runs with the thinner paint)

Step four - Buff with fine cut compound, polish and then wax.

-Should I use an epoxy primer or regular filler primer?
-Do I need to use a sealer? what exactly does a sealer do? I thought the primer sealed it
-How much paint and primer do I need? I was thinking a litre of primer and a litre of paint plus thinner and activator.

This is the website I plan to order from if anyone speaks german http://www.autolackcenter.de/profix/pri ... index.html

Thanks for reading all that, any help would awesome

Return to Body and Paint