n00b looking for painting tips

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:51 pm
Hi everyone. I've been rebuilding a motorcycle this year and am a total n00b at painting. Now that I'm getting it all thrown back together, I'm looking to paint it a nice marble green. I'm basing my technique off of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpD4bmewQXk

Basically, the progression in that video goes: prep work -> black base -> silver coat (in my case, white) and plastic wrap -> color coat(s) -> clear coats.

I've already spray-painted my fenders and tank black with some spray paint. My question is, do I have to spray the silver (and hit it with the plastic wrap), spray the color coat within 20 minutes (perhaps a 2nd color coat after 5-10 minutes depending on how it looks), then spray the first clear coat within another 20 minutes waiting 5-10 minutes between a 2nd and 3rd coat? What happens if I spray the white coats, let it set overnight, then spray the color; let it set overnight again, then hit it with clear a day or two later?

Also, I'm running with one HVLP gun although I do have a suction gun if that would help significantly. I presume the best way to clean the gun between colors is dump the paint out, wipe it down with a paper towel reasonably well, throw some turpentine in there, slosh it around and spray a little bit, then dump it out and let it dry before dropping in the new paint and squirting out a little to prime the gun. Afterwards, a more proper cleaning would definitely be in order.

Return to Body and Paint