Automotive art base + Tamco HC2104

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:05 am
I did a spray out on an old fender which a similar fender to my 83 Toy resto which I'm trying to figure out a color for. I'm trying some metallic silver base from a local supplier and Tamco 2104.

The fender was a tad rough with some bare metal, filler showing through so I did a quick sand down and shot one coat of epoxy. I didn't mix enough primer and only got one coat on and missed the a small portion of the lower fender.

The Automotive Art is a 1:1 and covered well and covered the bare the portion where I missed the epoxy.

This is my second try with the 2104. The first time was run city on an old hood, but it was a rush job that I did on Halloween night and the temps were cooler out. This time I got one small run around the flare which I figured as I struggle with these weird shapes. With some more practice I will nail it one day.

I used a Tekna Prolite, TE20 cap for base, Iwata LPH400 silver cap for the clear. I reduced the clear about 10%. 2 coats base+ 2 coats clear.
Attachments
IMG_5615.jpg
IMG_5614.jpg
IMG_5613.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:03 am
Looks good
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:22 am
Have you tried shooting the clear without reducing it?
I normally shoot 3 coats of clear and don't add any reducer until the last coat and then only if I think I need it.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:30 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Have you tried shooting the clear without reducing it?
I normally shoot 3 coats of clear and don't add any reducer until the last coat and then only if I think I need it.

Too scared at this point to not reduce, LOL.

If I recall the stir stick can almost remain vertical in the can un-reduced due to it's high solids content.

What is your gun set up for this clear ? I saw Gunnman's setting of about 29 PSI using the Iwata which another MS clear.

I sprayed at just under 20C. I turned the shop heaters on (no booth AMU) after I cleaned the gun to around 28C and was surprised to see the clear was dry to the touch in under 2 hrs. Probably a surprise to me because I'm used to spraying in homemade booths outdoors for years and it took longer for things to dry then. I'm really starting to dig my new booth.

I still have to deal with the weird contours of my truck. The truck bed has a reverse lip with cargo hooks so I can't wait to see what kind of runs I get there.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:41 pm
I either use an Iwata LPH400 silver cap (1.4 tip) or the DeVilbiss Tekna Copper 7E7 with 1.4 tip.
Yes it goes on thick and wet. You can watch it flow out while you are spraying. The key is to not rush flash times. I wait until I can touch an area on the masking tape and the clear doesn't cling to the glove causing strings.
I shot the Tamco 4100 and the ********** Euro clears this way and got great results. Now that being said, I might be a lone wolf in this method of applying clear so follow at your own risk. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:15 pm
I had to check out this new color with the test fender on the truck in some sun. My cheap point and shoot camera sucks. Maybe the gloss over exposed the camera, LOL. I got the thumbs up from the family with this color so it's a go.

The inspiration for this color came from this guys Cobra I found
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/21-ffr-typ ... ilver.html

I hope this color looks as good on my resto truck and I can finish it before my youngest graduates...... this project was started back in 1992 so it's time to get it done!
Attachments
IMG_5629.jpg
IMG_5628.jpg

Return to Body and Paint