mouse piss rust

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 am
About 6 years ago I bought a reproduction 1932 Ford Roadster metal body. After 3 years in my shop I noticed small round (iregular borders) spots of rust mostly on horizontal surfaces. And no I had not primed the body yet. So I orbital sanded with 180 grit to the point thaty there was not visible rust. Then primed with epoxy primer (DP 50 LF).

Now I am prepping for paint. I noticed lots of rough white round stains on top of the primer. Also there is rust coming up through the primer from the original rust from 4 years ago. After sanding the primer I see that it protected the metal from the white stains on its surface. I have sanded of all the primer and the orininal rust spots. You really have to look close to see where the rust was.

I am convinced that the culprit in this saga are field mice.

So now I want to prime and paint but am afraid that this stuborn mouse piss rust will eventually work its way back to the surface.

Should I use a wire wheel on a hand grinder? Is there a rust inhibitor that will stop this mouse piss rust in its tracks. I bought some POR 15 Rust Preventive but in reading about it it says that it seals the area to stop oxygen from getting in. Not sure if that is enough.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Return to Body and Paint