How much paint should I buy for bumper

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 pm
I need to replace my front bumper cover and can only find it ready to paint or pre primed. I plan on buying it pre primed because the cost between the two is negligible. I just need to know what amount of paint to buy.

Vehicle is a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4 door.
Silver streak mica paint

Will 8oz be enough or will I need a pint?

I think I read Toyota uses 3 coats of base then 3 coats of clear but I will confirm this before painting.

Never painted before but know someone I can borrow high quality auto paint guns from and will do my research before painting. It doesn’t have to be perfect just look good as this is my everyday driver that I take off road when hunting and such, not a show car or anything. Also any suggestions on what brand or where to buy the paint at a reasonable price?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:30 pm
you will need to look at you base coat that your going to buy. they mix different, some 1-1 some 8-1 and so on. I would think that a pint ready to spray would be cutting real close and if it isn't enough then you have to start over again buying more paint. get a pint that should give you least 24 oz to 32oz to spray.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm
badsix wrote:you will need to look at you base coat that your going to buy. they mix different, some 1-1 some 8-1 and so on. I would think that a pint ready to spray would be cutting real close and if it isn't enough then you have to start over again buying more paint. get a pint that should give you least 24 oz to 32oz to spray.
Jay D.

I think most I found were 1-1. I assume then a pint 1-1 should be plenty? By 1-1 I mean 1 pint paint and 1 pint reducer not one pint total.
Thanks for your help.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 pm
yes, 1 pint 16oz. of unreduced base at 1-1 will be more than you will need that's a quart 32oz. ready to spray. as you were talking before about 8 oz. that's a 1/2 pint that will make a pint to spray or 16oz.. and if the bumper is large your going be cutting it close to get 3 coats. I would get the pint and mix a 24 oz. ready to spray batch up. that's 12 oz. of base that will leave you 4 oz. left incase you need to make a repair. color makes a difference also some cover better than others.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 am
I paint a lot of bumpers, I have never needed all of a pint for any of them.
Some needed a little more than a half pint however so I always get a full
pint and have some left over just in case I need a repair afterwards.
It does happen.
Make sure you put enough on, some colors need more than 3 coats.
Better a little more than not enough only to see it out in the sun afterwards.
A lot of painters don't get a good match because they don't put enough paint on
and don't get "total hiding"
That's when the primer or color underneath affects the final color,
you don't want that.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Body and Paint