Wet sanding beasecoat before clear coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:17 am
I have always color sanded before clear coat and had very beautiful paint jobs where you could see down the block like a mirror. I have done this with pantyhose and hadiwrap paint jobs for the marbled look. This is just what i was taught but i now see after reading on here that this is like taboo or something?? I have been using 2k urethane primer and nason paint products and have great success. I am just wondering is there a reason why you should not color sand?? Thanks for reading and your input...

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:47 am
First if you need to sand base coat in order to get a flat panel, then there's something in the prep prior to base that might have gotten a little more attention, I suppose. We should not be depending on base for any sort of "build" thickness, for later sanding flat.

Second, many base recipes will not tolerate sanding - anything with metallics in it for example, you will shear the metallic particles and change the way it looks. I've seen some solids get chalky looking if you touch them with sandpaper, too.

Third, I don't think there is a current modern paint system that says in their tech sheet that it's ok to sand base.

So for these reasons I think we are just better "safe than sorry" and don't recommend trying to sand the base coat. If it works well for you and you are happy with the technique then that's great, but I would not offer it as a suggestion to new painters.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:17 am
If you are applying your base coat properly there is absolutely no reason to sand it.

When you get dust or hit the panel with the air hose, then it is is recommended you sand out the imperfection and then respray with base before proceeding.

Reading the technical data sheet for the products you are using is highly recommended.

Color Sanding, as I understand it, is when you flattened the clear prior to buffing in order to have the clear look like glass over the color thus enhancing the depth and brilliance.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:25 am
Ok cool thanks i do wet sand before i buff my clear too. But i am trying to be like a sponge here and soak up as much info as possible

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:59 pm
I think were the term color sand came from was back in the lacquer days were it was normal to sand between coats, solid colors and metallic. one would spray 3-4 consecutive coats let dry overnight then color sand the next day and spray 3-4 more color coats depending on the project and painter. this cold be done several times ending with a color coat that got sanded and buffed with the metallic one would apply your last 2-3 coats of color then come right over it with 3-4 coats of clear then buff. lacquer is a different animal after you sprayed 7-8 coats you will need to let it cure for several weeks before you start buffing the more coats the long the waiting period.

what the O/P should do is get your color on and do your marbleizing or what ever. then shoot a couple wet coats of clear then sand but don't try and sand completely smooth get it about 75% or so. then shoot a couple more coats of clear and sand again to be smooth. you may be able to buff at this stage or put one last wet coat on, then you can then leave it as is or buff.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:30 pm
Jay d
You are right i was cheap labor for my dad's shop and we sprayed lacquer till 93. I can still remember loosing my finger prints at 13 from doing 24 coat job on a 56 panhead with skulls and ghost flames with pinstripe highlights

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:38 pm
yep, you been there done that. I did a tank back then in silver metal flake with candy blue stripes when finished it had probably 15 or more coats. I let it set for a couple days then cut and buffed it. wow it looked great, a local motorcycle shop was going to put it on display. about 3 weeks later I was in the shop and looked at the tank and it had the worst orange peel you have ever seen. lacquer needs to cure out the sanding in-between helps. I did a final cut and buff and it was ok.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint