Online vendor(s) for production paint matching?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:06 pm
My sister's 2005 Hyundai has sprouted a couple of small rust bubbles on the roof-- each maybe 1/2" wide if not less.

Paint looks fine elsewhere. Plan is to strip the roof, see if I need to patch the bubble residue, epoxy and basecoat then clear.

The phrase "2005 Hyundai" tells you how much I want to spend on materials. I was looking at automotivetouchup.com and their ready-to-spray quarts + clearcoat. For her color (Ebony Black) I can get out the door for $125 before tax and shipping.

Does anyone have experience with this company, their quality and service? Any others I should look at? My local paint jobber looks at DIYers like me as if we walked in with dog sh*t on our shoes so would prefer to stay online if possible.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 pm
Your problem will be that the factory paint has faded over the last 13 years.

I suggest you take a chip from the roof and go to a local automotive paint supplier to have them match it.

Don't take any guff from them, you are the customer. Hand them the chip and ask if they are capable of mixing a paint to match?

You won't need much base or clear to do just the roof. A quart each of RTS should be plenty.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 pm
:goodpost: this ^^ are you going to strip the complete roof or just the rust spots ? you should be able to get it with a pint of unreduced base and they should be able to mix it for you to match close.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 pm
You can remove the fuel fill door to take with you. Ebony Black will be easy to match up, and you can spray the entire top without having to blend. Tops are not easily seen anyway except by birds...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 pm
NightTrain wrote:You can remove the fuel fill door to take with you. Ebony Black will be easy to match up, and you can spray the entire top without having to blend. Tops are not easily seen anyway except by birds...

Ok, you guys have built up my confidence...I'll head back and try my luck again.

What's a fair price for a quart of base in this case, would you guess? Or rather, at what price should I scoff and try elsewhere?

Here's one of the spots in question, just to show what we're dealing with; all of them this size. No others anywhere on the car:

https://imgur.com/a/xYvjA

There are four of these at various spots on the roof. One of them is on the edge, where it meets the front window rubber...not sure if I can totally get it all without removing the seal, which I'm hesitant to try.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 am
dont bother with the fuel door. there is only one alternate and the formulas are so close you would never tell a difference. Also new black on a 2005 is never going to match "in appearance" but will match in "color"

if you strip that roof and epoxy over the bare steel and go right to base and cear you will have some die back im sure. seems as if paint like to soak into bare steel

id put down 2 good coats of epoxy let sit a few days.
sand with 320-500 then put a coat of epoxy (maybe 2) let that flash and go right to base then clear.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint