primer color

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:20 pm
PainterDave wrote:why would you spray so heavy of coats to cover ? now youre messing with mil thickness limits giving you a unsturdy paint job. you will end up using twice the amount of basecoat needed for the job, probably raising cost of the job.

if i was basecoating the RV i would seal the whole thing white put my white base down let that flash for a hour or two, lay out my stripes take some black basecoat and use that as my black undercoat for the stripe, two coats of brown unmask and clear the RV.

and no man dont pile and pile on basecoat because you have a bad undercoat color...

you could put 10 coats of red over gray primer and 2 coats of red over white and they will never match i dont care how much you pile on lol. use the proper undercoat buddy

:goodpost: I've said this before and got the your not putting enough coats on answer. I did my hot rod with Dodge Stealth Red Chroma Base, the car was primed with tan Uro prime. I had a couple dime sized sand through spots to gray primer, to this day you can see the spots and its got 4-5 coats in that area. I don't think 10 coats would cover it. I also had to redo the drivers door and only had lt. gray primer. now it noticeable. some colors are translucent and you end up with this problem if the primer isn't all the same color. I ran into this with yellow also. the black base for an undercoat is the way to go, I also use white base under light colors such as yellows.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 pm
:happy: Where's Old Dupont Guy?

Seriously, the days of true colour are gone. Almost every colour now is, to a greater or lesser degree, translucent. That means that the correct primer or sealer colour is absolutely essential if you don't want your repair to show through.

Sometimes, though, you may not have the right colour primer or you may have a primer that isn't tintable. In these cases what I do is mix up some basecoat to the correct Value Shade and use this as the first basecoat layer. Usually one coat is enough, sometimes 1.5 but what is important is that you blend the edges out. Then put your colour over that, extending a bit past the end and blending into the old paint. As Dave says, this keeps your basecoat thickness down and even with the cheaper lines you'll get coverage in 2, maybe 2.5 coats.

Using this technique you also won't get the noticeable spots that Jay describes, above.

PainterDave wrote:if i was basecoating the RV i would seal the whole thing white put my white base down let that flash for a hour or two, lay out my stripes take some black basecoat and use that as my black undercoat for the stripe, two coats of brown unmask and clear the RV.

This is how I would have done it. The alternative that Dave described means white over black, which even with the sealer may result in some difference.
Chris
Previous

Return to Body and Paint