Flash time on an overall

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:56 pm
Hi Guys. I've read a lot of great info on this forum over the past year and just finally joined to see if I could get an answer to a question that's been bugging me.

Flash time - Every TDS has one and they're all somewhat different. My question is this; what's the right way to apply flash time when you're doing an overall paint job? Not that I would necessarily do it this way, but if I started on the RF fender and worked all the way around the car it would be 30-40 minutes since I sprayed the RF fender. So, do I wait the prescribed flash time after finishing the entire car, or do I just continue when I get back to the RF fender assuming the flash time was 30 minutes or less?

I have no problem waiting longer, but some data sheets are very specific, e.g. "Wait exactly 30 minutes" or some say to flash for 30 minutes but finish with in 2 hours. I want to know when that clock starts.

Thanks!
Dave

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:44 pm
there's a lot more to it than the TDS that's just a guide line. temperature, humidity, air flow, type of reducer, application and to some extent brand of material all have a great effect on flash times. now with base coat you can usually start at some point and when you get back to there its usually long enough. figuring your 30 min. to go around a complete. with S/S and clear coat I like to go around then were I started I touch a spot on the masking and if its wet feeling and strings to your finger you might want to let it set for a little longer. what you want is for it to be sticky and not transfer to your finger. this is just a guide, as I sometimes like to get on it wile its still wet. I shoot my S/S wet so my flash time will normally be longer. another thing to think about is after your first coat there will be areas that will be a little slower like along body lines and concave areas were the paint build is more. also your second and third coats are going to be slower. unless your in a good controlled atmosphere its just about job to job on flash times there all going to be a little different.
I hope this helped a little.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 pm
Thanks Jay. All that makes sense...I'll use some of your tips next time I shoot something.

Return to Body and Paint