Clearing Chrome

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 am
IMG_1896.JPG

I put two coats of the POR 15 on them yesterday. It didn't flow as well as I expected. It brushed on like glue, very thick and heavy. I'd call them "10 Footers", as far as how they look. They sort of look like they have water on them. Fine with me. Again, just a driver.

Here's few pics. One to show the truck. I didn't want to use a solid color. Would've defeated the purpose of having the chrome in the first place. One to show after the coating, and one to show the rust. (One of the pics I sent to Cragar at their request.)
I'll post about these after a year or so to see how they are doing.

Thanks, folks.
Attachments
IMG_1918.JPG
IMG_1917.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:44 am
It hasn't been a year, but I have more info on this.
The POR-15 product I used yellowed after only a few weeks. It also started peeling. I contacted them to see what I could do. And yes, I should've asked them how to do this before I did it the first time. (DOH!)
I was told I used the wrong product, and didn't prep correctly.
Here are some photos showing, in order:
-The wrong product, that I used previously.
-The correct products (stripper, cleaner, metal prep and two part coating.
-The result after applying the correct product.
I thought about spraying, but brushing was simpler and good enough for a driver.
Attachments
IMG_2129.JPG
Wrong Product
IMG_2128.JPG
Correct Product(s)
IMG_2143.JPG
Result

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:58 am
So I read that as.... Our product does not work.... Here is a product that we relabel (doh....), I mean sell that is essentially an Iso hardened clear like almost any other auto clear coat on the market. Remove our previous crap with our relabeled (doh.....) other products.....
I'm sorry, none of that is aimed at you. POR just needs a good flaming..... That brand means nothing to me.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:34 pm
DarrelK wrote:So I read that as.... Our product does not work.... Here is a product that we relabel (doh....), I mean sell that is essentially an Iso hardened clear like almost any other auto clear coat on the market. Remove our previous crap with our relabeled (doh.....) other products.....
I'm sorry, none of that is aimed at you. POR just needs a good flaming..... That brand means nothing to me.....
No, I would read it as, "I didn't read thoroughly and used the wrong stuff." :oops: When it came time to fix my mistake, I used everything they told me to use, so I stand the best chance of it lasting. I imagine it could be re-labeled stuff, I don't know. But again, I wanted to do it their way.
I take no offense to your flaming, but CRAGAR is the culprit here. The chrome job they did is abysmal. I give them credit for reimbursing me. I figured it didn't hurt to try, but was pleasantly surprised. :)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm
Yeah, chrome services have been headed down a deep dark hole since so much imported stuff started coming over here. A lot of those industries were so heavily regulated here it is little wonder that the quality could stay decent. When we first started in business there were about a half dozen electroplating companies locally. I think there might be one left now.....but haven't heard from him in quite awhile.
Still not a big fan of the POR line but hey, if it holds up long term.......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Previous

Return to Body and Paint