Cellulose Help? Top Coat Gloss

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 am
Hello wondering if anyone could answer a few queries i have, complete novice spray painter, and im unsure about lacquer/clear coat? my local paint shop recommended me 1k cellulose paint as im spraying in my garage, so i started with a 1k cellulose primer, coated the whole car and thought i brought a base coat, but i brought a 1k cellulose top coat gloss, do i have to clear over this or can i just sand polish it out and leave it as it is?
thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:09 pm
if your indeed using lacquer then yes IF its a solid color. if its a metallic then I would put several coat of clear on then cut and buff. be sure you have enough film build to cut and buff. the longer you can wait the better it will look. lacquer shrinks horribly during the curing stage. I would let it dry at least 2-3 weeks, this is dependant on film build.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:24 pm
It's a solid color, i had a couple spots of dust a drop which i need to sort, if i sand with 1200-1500 providing i have enough paint left on the panel is it okay to cut/buff after and leave it? i thought i was buying basecoat lol, but info sheet says its top coat gloss so just making sure :|

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:40 pm
its ok to cut and buff anytime, its just better to let shrink up as long as you can. and this shrinking problem is more so if you have multiple coats, like 6-7 color coats then 6-8 clear coats. where if you did 3-4 color coats then the shrinkage would be minimal. so how many coats did you apply and what was your reduction ratio. just be sure you have enough paint on the panel.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 am
Its been sitting for a good month or so now so shrinking should be okay hopefully, i applied 4 coats of color first coat the ratio was 100ml/80ml thinner, then next 3 coats were 1:1, ive just tried sanding a section with 1200-1500, came up okay i could still see scratches though, so will try 2000 later, thanks very much for info

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:28 pm
I wouldn't worry about 1200 scratches on lacquer they should buff out very easy. back when we used lacquer we would cut it with 600 wet then buff, lacquer buffs very easy. you can do your first buff with a more aggressive compound I wouldn't work it to much 4 coats is not very much to work with. you should be ok it sounds like you know what your doing.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint