Spray gun paint filter

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:42 pm
I've been shooting my primer with a Harbor Freight paint gun.

I recently ordered a DevilBiss Plus gun and noticed that it came with a white strainer/filter that goes in the tube that the paint cup screws onto. Then I looked in the box of stuff that came with my HF gun and found one of those also.

Today I shot some more ********** epoxy primer and figured I'd stick the filter in there. I never used it in the past and everything came out fine. But now with the strainer, I noticed that the paint would cut out or run dry mid-way through a pass along the panel. Not wanting to troubleshoot right there, I took the cup off and removed the filter to finish the job.

What's up with that? Am I doing something wrong? Why do I even need that filter if I'm straining my paint before I put it into the cup?

Thanks,
Sal

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:51 pm
It's probably more of a restriction than anything. I would leave it out.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 pm
Yep, yank that baby out of there and toss it in the trash.
You should be straining your paint when pouring it into the cup anyway.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 pm
Yeah, I've never quite understood manufacturing "think" on those things. In a gravity gun it's such a natural place for a clog especially with the higher solids stuff. Good well strained material in the gun = good material coming out. No need for further filtering.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint