clearcoat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:50 pm
would a clear coat for a two stage paint job be considered single stage trying to buy clear but they all say single stage????? thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 pm
i'm not sure what your talking about. but base coat is no good with out the second stage ( clear ) thus 2 stage. clear is a stand alone product it can be used over a number of different products. or like s/s urethane it needs nothing else to be complete.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 pm
Thanks bad6 I am looking at b/c c/c for a future project at summit b/c says 2 stage I understand this but c/c says single stage. I thank you last post explains it . so a b/c than a clear but will a clear ss work is it the right clear .thanks again Jeffrobodean

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:55 pm
the clear that's used with a b/c system will work as a clear coat over anything. its just a urethane. I,ve done some wood projects and cleared them with automotive clears. I had a few I wanted to look smooth no grain showing, I filled with lacquer clear sanded then urethane cleared. i'm not sure its the way to do it but it worked for me. we need Darrel to step in here.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:19 am
bad6 I think you miss red my post future not furniture this is a fiberglass RV thanks

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:03 am
badsix wrote:the clear that's used with a b/c system will work as a clear coat over anything. its just a urethane. I,ve done some wood projects and cleared them with automotive clears. I had a few I wanted to look smooth no grain showing, I filled with lacquer clear sanded then urethane cleared. i'm not sure its the way to do it but it worked for me. we need Darrel to step in here.
Jay D.

jay a lacquer wood and finish in automotive clear all the time

Jeff you might be better off single staging the RV
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:45 am
Terms are confusing to "newbies". Auto urethane clears can stand alone or go over just about anything. As said in base/clear system you've got your color base, then urethane clear.... I would agree with doing a big thing like an RV in single stage period.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am
woops :whoops: I just bought a used travel trailer this summer and it has the fiberglass siding on it. just like you i'm going to paint it this coming summer. its white and faded and not very glossy. i'm going to sand it after I get the stick on stripping off then shoot it with white base and clear. I want to put some stripes on it but not sure how I;m going to attack them. my boy has a friend that can make the stripes for me or I can have my boy help me and paint them. on he's very talented and has done large motor homes before. getting the stripes off will be the worst part.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:02 pm
DarrelK wrote:...I would agree with doing a big thing like an RV in single stage period.

Hey Darrel (or anyone else)

* Just out of curiosity, why would you suggest SS on a large project like that?

The reason that I am asking (as a weekend rookie beginner novice...) is that when I first started, I had decided to shoot SS, then wait, sand and hit it with CC. I still can not shoot SS as well as I can BC/CC (I think I need to work on my viscosities).

Thanks!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm
For me, it's easier because..... :( ,,my shoulders aren't what they used to be. Less coats= easier to move the next day.... :lol: Going over those big boxes again and again takes it out of you. Normal cars and sports cars I'm reaching across and down mostly and moving pretty fast around them. Not so much with an RV.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Next

Return to Body and Paint