Looking for Depont Centari 817a white paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm
Projects a Jeep CJ8 fiberglass tub, fender and hood. I had just over 1/2 gal. of paint left from another project. Thought I would have enough but I ended up making a few mistakes on the shoot. Tried using a new gun, not bad I just need to get use to it. Problem is 3 runs and a sag. Should be able to sand them out. Worst problem is my let touched the hood (on saw horses). Never did that before, tried hammering it to try to run it out. I may need more paint than I have left. Never thought the paint would be discontinued. Does anyone know where I can find a quart or does anyone have some I can get. Thanks.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:07 pm
One other question. If I have enough paint that when I sand out the sag and need to shoot a coat or two (2ft x 2ft section, probably a little less). the over spray around it can it be lightly sanded 1500 grit or so to get the dry portion off and blend new paint just shot to paint I sprayed today. Reason is usually I just re-shoot the panel and tape off the panels next to it. I don't have enough paint to do this (large panel) and I'm happy with the amount of orange peal so I don't want to sand too much that where I sand stands out (smoother) next to the rest of the panel. On the hood worse case is I re-shoot the hood with urethane (go for a color match, need more paint for dash and windshield frame). Other parts will be shot next winter.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 pm
i'll look tomorrow. I have a lot of leftovers in white, silver, black and red.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 am
Thanks. :bighug:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm
sorry, I don't have any. I have it in Nasons S/S Fulthane and Nasons Fulbase base coat also lacquer. not much of any but the base coat I have almost a quart I believe. did you catalyze your Centari ? if your not in a big rush, i'll try and check with a friend of mine in the next couple day, he might have some. that's a common GM white.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 pm
Thanks, if he has any I would love to get. I may have lucked out. Went to the shop and looked at the paint job last night. When I left the shop (2 hr's after painting) the sag was much worse than when I seen it last night. It seemed to flow down a little and lost about half it's size. If needed would need less paint to shoot a coat over (after wet sanding). I have a few questions that I haven't found the answers on the forum search. Stuff that after you do a few paints you wish you had 10 minutes of time with some one to fill in a missing part that you just don't find in books or you tube demonstrations.
When I paint, I get the shop around 75 deg, and use a med reducer. When done and equipment is cleaned I leave the shop till the next day. I usually turn the heat up to 80 deg or more (what I did on last paint also). Is it better to do this (to get the paint to dry faster, my thought was to get less dust in the paint). Or is better to do like I do all other times (turn the head down to 60 - 65 deg). If I turn it down will it help the paint flow (level out) better and this would help get less orange peel. I didn't expect the paint to continue flowing and leveling when I left Friday night and was pleasantly surprised that it did. Also flowed more on the hood to.
Last questions are If I had to repaint a 10" x 7" section on the rear of the tub (behind the rear wheel) can I blend the paint into the panel. I was going to start off with 1000 grit and wet sand the sag. If all went well than 1200 grit working out a few inches further, than hopefully 1500 (maybe sanding 1200 or1500 grit over the remaining tub. Then the wool pad and polishing. Is this along the line you would do to blend a solid color SS into the existing paint (on a car just painted, then go back to do a redo of a error). If I had the paint I would after sanding out the sag do I 600 grit sand and re-shoot from the rear panel seam to under the door.
Last If I do the sanding of the repair will this stand out compared to the rest of the tub with orange peel similar to todays car finishes. Sorry for long question, would really help with how to handle and what to expect the outcome to be. Thanks, more than you know.
Attachments
20180217_154527_001_resized.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39 pm
Sag behind rear wheel well, center of the panel.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:09 pm
just talked to him on the phone and its a no, he has base coat. to answer your questions, turning down the temp might let the paint move a little but it would depend on how many coats you applied and how heavy they were. I would think its going to be mostly stopped after say half an hour to clean your equipment. but with multiple wet coats it will stay wet for some time the down side is the longer its wet the more contaminates that will get on it. especially in an environment like a garage. its a tough call.
trying to blend S/S just doesn't work real well your still going to se were it ended. with the white it might be harder to see. I would try and sand it out first then buff. if your worried about the peel sand that side lightly and buff, if the buffing doesn't work you can drop back to repainting.
you did catalyze your Centari didn't you? it can be used with out but needs it if your going to recoat
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 am
Thanks, yes I did catalyze the paint (advantage 200 wet look hardener). This will probably be the last time I use SS paint. Never used base/clear coat but may be time to learn that system.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:01 am
The more I read this thread, the more confused I get.

Let's get back to the real problem(s):

1. You have a sag on the LH Quarter, somewhere in the middle of the section behind the rear wheel arch. This seems to be the major concern.

2. You brushed against part of the bonnet with your leg and subsequently flooded that area running the paint down and off the edge. No further mention of this other than in your first post so I assume that it is no longer an issue?

So, what we're left with is a sag on a pretty flat panel.

Why not just fix the sag? Rather than worrying about sourcing paint and blending another coat, or two, something that is also relatively simple, provided you have the experience, which I'm fairly sure you don't, given the somewhat roundabout methods that you're proposing.

Fixing runs is easy and there are tricks, like using a fine filler to protect the low spots, that make it even easier. Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6nPky0HGs
Chris
Next

Return to Body and Paint