Trouble with silver metallic bc/cc

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:02 am
Dreww wrote: The counter guy at the paint store said to make sure to us a high quality reducer as the cheaper ones will give it that overly metallic appearance, any truth to this?

While it's a good idea in general to use quality materials - I use ********** myself - this particular claim seems like drivel to me. Typical counter guy baseless claim.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 pm
kace wrote:
Dreww wrote: The counter guy at the paint store said to make sure to us a high quality reducer as the cheaper ones will give it that overly metallic appearance, any truth to this?

While it's a good idea in general to use quality materials - I use ********** myself - this particular claim seems like drivel to me. Typical counter guy baseless claim.

The counter guy is actually 100% correct. Reducers are blends of solvents. The expensive solvent in the blend is the 'tail solvent' and will leave a grainy or overly metallic appearance if left out of the blend. Had a painter who was having trouble with his blends, he could always see his blend line on metallics. He was using a cheap reducer, he switched to same line as he was spraying (PPG) and he could no longer see his blend.

My first piece of advice would be a better reducer. Get your gun setup, overlap and distance down right. You can take 1 metallic color and get 3 colors by changing psi and gun distance alone.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 am
Agree 100%.

I discussed reducers with the DuPont training manager some years back and he concurred fully with my use of PPG thinners. Although a little more aggressive, he conceded that they were actually better than the DuPont equivalents.

Other than an occasional lapse in technique (brain fade), I don't have problems with blends, even though I don't use a wet bed.
Chris
Previous

Return to Body and Paint