Debris falling from vinyl insulation

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm
Hello, I'm new here and not sure if I'm on the correct area for this. I've been painting in my metal building since 2002 when it was built, I don't have a booth and never had a problem till now. I've been getting white particles in my paint and it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from but it's falling from the insulation on the ceiling. It's the kind that has a white vinyl covering, the covering is flaking off. My question is has anybody else had this problem and what is the best way to seal this off? I can't just hang a tarp since I have 12- 8ft lights mounted on the ceiling. I'm thinking to spray something or put some of that clear plastic that's used to insulate windows in houses. Any ideas?? Thanks..

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:27 pm
You might try shooting some clear coat over the vinyl insulation to seal it up. Other than that I would think you will have real problems seeing your work.
This is one of the reasons I built my booth. Working in an open building it was just too difficult to control the environment for painting.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 pm
Yeah, I have that same stuff in one of my steel buildings as well. We just don't have it too bad (seems like tougher vinyl than most). Where I have had problems with it I ended up using some of that self-stick roll plastic you put down on carpets for home showing when you are selling a house. That stuff has continuous glue on it and bonds better the longer it is left in place. It helps to have a guy or two with you when you do it. We had one guy with the roll ahead of us as two of us came behind and stuck it up in place.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint