Paint Identification

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 am
Hello all,

I recently bought 2 gals of paint, got a really good deal on OfferUp.
The seller had "Sherwin Williams, Gold Toyota" written on the can. No label. All he knows is it is basecoat. We have determined it is solvent based, not waterbased. A visit to the local Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store wasn't much help.

I learned that the line consists of the ATX, Dimension, and Genesis products. Seller says it is about 5 years old. This eliminates the ATX line as it is only 2 yrs old.

Any help on how to identify this paint would be very helpful,

Thanks,

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 am
So what is your biggest concern with it? Paint products like this have a pretty long shelf life if they are full in the can. Test some with it cleared over. If you are concerned with having "more" for a job have Sherwin Williams color scan it from a a spray out from a gallon and make more. I would think you could then take and cut it back and forth (would even all the color) in a clean bucket and can it back into the gallons.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:15 pm
Sorry, I didn't mention it, but my main concern is what type of reducer/activator to use and at what ratios?
From what I understand is that the Dimension and Genesis product lines require their own proprietary chemicals.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:44 pm
Got it....Sherwin Williams couldn't tell you that? So it sounds like you narrowed it down to Genesis.... I used to deal with our local Sherwin Williams about 10 to 12 years ago and seem to remember that Genesis 3.5 voc base/clear was 3 parts color to 1 parts GR6070 Reducer to 1 part GH2092 Hardener. Now that's from memory and looking at a few old cans on the shelf here and I am old :) Seems like a counter guy would have at least pointed you in that direction.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:08 pm
just a random thought. but couldn't the Sherwin-Williams guys tell by the smell of the paint. I used several different brands and could tell what they were just buy the oddor. Centari, Ppg, limo, Napa and others they all have there specific odors. and NO don't send me any, I forgot what S/W smells like. :happy:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm
send me some i like sniffing paint
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 pm
Just don't put it on a gold Toyota, it won't match hahaha

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:52 pm
Yes, about the sniffing part. The lady acted like I brought in a germ warfare container. Didn't even want to open the can. Acted like she didn't want to be liable for anything.
I agree with this forum, if I were on her side of the counter I would have tried my best to help.
Starting with a visual inspection and moving on. Oh well, I still think it could be either Genesis or Dimension.
My next step will be getting some of both reducers/activators and test it myself. I wonder, will it curdle or perhaps not mix properly?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:54 pm
I see several products in the Dimension line from base coat to acrylic enamel and you want to buy hardener for them. you'll be better off throwing it away and buying the right stuff. do you have any body shops that use S/W. ask your friendly jobber who they are and go talk to the painter, he will probably know.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:59 am
Ultra 7000 perhaps.

Return to Body and Paint