Shopline jc 630 question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 pm
heres the 67
Attachments
20180228_172320.jpg

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:15 pm
in booth
Attachments
20180225_184929.jpg

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:17 pm
it smoothed out after I baked it. no orange peel

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:50 pm
Jesseddavis wrote:...So i was trying to keep them under 2k. I was only wondering. Only my 3rd or 4th cars ive ever did...

I fully understand you needing to get your name out, and discounting the price. We do it in the engineering and construction industry all the time to get on with new clients.

Just be sure to TELL them that they are getting a discount price. Otherwise they will get it in their heads that is the price point. You HAVE to spell it out for them, "This is a $XX dollar paint job, but I am selling to your for $YY dollars to get my name out."

Same thing if you are to trade someone, set the price AHEAD of time, before you ever lift a finger. Otherwise you will paint a car and you will have $5,000 in your head and they will have $1,000 in their minds

The photos look great, those kind of photos make me jealous! And if it really is that good of a full repaint for $2k, they have nothing to complain about if the clear fails in a few years.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 pm
PainterDave wrote:those cheap clears go on and spray so easy because they are low solids content,

they dont last long. not the solids content at 34% thats not much. also not the application box.

optimal performance of 2.0-2.5 mils. i would guess 3-4 coats to build that.

optimal would probably be three years on a daily driver.

What solids content would you look for in a "quality" clear for a nice car that will be driven? (not a trailer show queen.)

I noticed that the PPG 2021 has a range of Total % Solids by Volume from 42.0% to 39.9% depending on the hardener used.

I would guess that there are other factors, but was just wondering.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 pm
NICE JOBS, you'll need to experiment with some other clears and try to push them to the customer. Dave is on it with the higher solid clears, only problem is that they are going to be a little more challenging to apply than what your using. I think your doing all right. your making 30.00 an hour that's not bad to start out. I did the same thing I took all my profit for about a year and bought tools, welders, guns, body tools, safety equipment, anything I thought I would need. after about a year I had a really good name out there people knew if I did there job it was done right and look perfect. I had people tow cars to me from 500 mile away. reputation is everything, NEVER turn out a bad job. if you have to go in the hole over it don't turn a bad job it will kill you. you have the potential to make some good money. I would slowly get your hourly up a little around 50.00 hr, but remember IF you want to make money and lots of it don't price yourself out of business. its better to do a car for 30.00 hr profit then set there for a week and not do anything. bidding your jobs and figuring your profit is one of the hardest things you'll have to do.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
PainterDave wrote:those cheap clears go on and spray so easy because they are low solids content,

they dont last long. not the solids content at 34% thats not much. also not the application box.

optimal performance of 2.0-2.5 mils. i would guess 3-4 coats to build that.

optimal would probably be three years on a daily driver.

What solids content would you look for in a "quality" clear for a nice car that will be driven? (not a trailer show queen.)

I noticed that the PPG 2021 has a range of Total % Solids by Volume from 42.0% to 39.9% depending on the hardener used.

I would guess that there are other factors, but was just wondering.

yeah thats not bad, can go up into 50 ish, i use 20121
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:52 am
Well i got a couple dailys to do next weekend. And i was thinking about the 2021. My dad suggested that. This isnt my primary job btw just doing it on the side. Got a couple boths i can use. I work on comision as a preper. And make good money. I just want to get into yhe paint. Been preping so long.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:02 pm
well buddy i been painting 30 years and im in a very high level of painting after all these years. i train a lot of painters andcan tell youre off to a **** good start. keep plugging away and it will pay off
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Previous

Return to Body and Paint