dodge truck paint peel advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:16 am
Hello, first post here.
1.) I'm going to paint my truck. :)
2.) yes I know the amount of work and time involved. I once painted my 1974 plymouth trailduster with great results, and also did all the body work.
3.) My truck is suffering from the paint peeling off deal. In fact there is minimal paint left, just primer. Will I need to take off the primer? is the primer the reason the paint came off? If so, what is the recommendation for getting to bare metal?

Thanks for any help

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am
if I were to do this for myself or a customer I would sand it all off down to bare metal. somewhere theirs a problem, were ? the primer has been compromised by being exposed to the elements and unknown what it looks like under it. now that's what I would do, YOU may be able to sand it and recoat and it may last and it may not. you can sand the top coat or color off with 80 grit it's hard to do with out getting most of the primer. then go over the complete unit with 180 then epoxy then hi build. by this time your almost to bare metal.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 am
ok, sounds like bare metal then. Is sanding the best way? chemical stripping? or even something else I'm not aware of.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:16 pm
I'm not sure what tools you have but at minimum you'll want a DA sander preferably with a 6" wheel use 80 grit discs and lock out the DA mode. if you don't mind the cost Aircraft paint stripper works good. be sure to scratch the surface first with a piece of 36 grit paper by hand then spread the stripper. try not to let the stripper dry on the surface. I will sometimes use the stripper on the heavy stuff then the sander, the sander should take the primer off quickly.
if you use the paint stripper do just one panel at a time, like one side of the box. if has any wax type of material on it wipe it off with wax and grease remover. take a piece of 36 grit paper and scratch it surface real good by hand, this will let the remover get down into the paint and work much faster and better. dust it off then spread your remover on as thick as you can with out it running off, a 3-4" soft brush works I've also had good luck with the small dia. 3" rollers. when your finished be sure to neutralize the stripper with water. I like to wash with soap and water, be sure to rinse real good and get all the stripper out of any seams or holes then dry with clean rags and air. now pull up a chair and open a cold one and watch it work.

Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm
sounds like you aint stripped much before. if thats what im hearing then do not use chemical stripper.

strip with 80 and a DA, epoxy on 80grit epoxy let dry, sand 320, epoxy mixed a sealer and basecoat clear or SS
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:34 pm
I would start by picking up a copy of the DVD called "Paintucation - Body Shop Basics". It covers the basics of tools, materials needed, stripping, bumping, filling, priming, painting and clearing. Best $20 I ever spent in regards to getting started. It's nice to actually see some one doing a complete repair.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm
thank you. I have not stripped much. Just one truck in the past and that was 1992. I used a DA on that. I have never used a Chemical stripper before.
I will order the DVD. EDIT just went to order the DVD and realized its the same fella I've been watching on youtube this week. Just had knee surgery so laid up trying to learn about some things i hope to do when I'm healed up.
again thanks for the info.
Last edited by runningbird on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 pm
So its not Runningbird anymore? hope you heal well. just talked to a friend of mine about an hour ago he's about 2 weeks into recovery, walking with a cane and getting better still sore though he said.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 pm
haha, I hope to be runningbird again. 10 days into it. bought my first car at 14, 1970 sixpack roadrunner, and I'm a runner, or was?
anyway, I have access to almost any shop tool. sure looking forward to getting started.

Return to Body and Paint