Eastwood After Blast

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21 pm
Hey Everyone,

I’ve got a 1969 Cougar that I’m slowly stripping down to bare metal. I bought a couple of gallons of Eastwood’s After Blast since it is advertised to prevent flash rust while I wait to prime.

Now, I know there is another similar thread out there but it quickly deviates from my answering my question. My epoxy primer tech sheet calls for 180-220 grit sanding before application. If I sand the bare metal with 180, then coat with After Blast, do I need to do any further prep before laying down the epoxy primer? I’m reading reviews of the metal being seemingly “smooth” after using the After Blast, so I’m concerned with mechanical adhesion. On the other hand, if I sand again after using it, I’ll be stripping away the protective zinc phosphate coating.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Tom Z.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:05 am
my personal advise is to skip the afterblast, use wax and grease remover after paint removal and get the epoxy on as you go.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am
:goodpost: ^^^ I second the motion. make sure the W/G remover has dried.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:16 pm
I’d agree with what you guys are saying but I was hoping to use the After Blast to help in encapsulating any tiny rust spots that I can’t get out with sanding. Eastwood seems to say you can lay down epoxy primer right after wiping the surface clean of the After Blast but the fact that it kinda smooths the surface according to reviews scares me a little. Has anyone here actually used this stuff and can speak to their process and/or results?

I appreciate the responses!

-Tom

Return to Body and Paint