Repairable with bodywork or cut and replace only option?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:12 am
Newbie, first time post.
I'm looking at picking this up as a project car as I've always wanted to have one of these. Its an 05 Mercedes CL55 that has been hit on the passenger side rear panel between the door and the wheel. It's a pretty deep dent. I was wondering if this is something can be repaired with bodywork or if there is no hope but to cut and replace it.
I am not a professional and have done a little bit of work before on other cars. Thinking this would be beyond my expertise level.
If a cut and replace is the only option, any idea how much cost would be involved to do this?

Thanks,
Ather
Attachments
CL55 side damage.jpeg

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 am
Welcome to the forum.

Highly unlikely to pull that out and get the door jamb/gap correct. Sure you could pave it with body putty and spend hours shaping the edge (heck, they used to make car production models out of clay, right?) -- but not something I'd recommend.

Also guys who know this stuff (from a collision shop perspective) will remind us that on a newer Mercedes that panel is probably structural, has integrated rear-passenger protection components and requires a 10 day training course from Mercedes along with a detailed repair map to execute it correctly.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 am
Send it to Arthur. (Tussik)

https://www.youtube.com/user/tussik01/videos
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 pm
chris wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Highly unlikely to pull that out and get the door jamb/gap correct. Sure you could pave it with body putty and spend hours shaping the edge (heck, they used to make car production models out of clay, right?) -- but not something I'd recommend.

Also guys who know this stuff (from a collision shop perspective) will remind us that on a newer Mercedes that panel is probably structural, has integrated rear-passenger protection components and requires a 10 day training course from Mercedes along with a detailed repair map to execute it correctly.

Thanks Chris.
Thats a good point on maintaining the structural integrity. I would not want to jeopardize that and put anyone's safety at risk. Seems like a much more complex task than I had originally anticipated. Will have to re-think this project and move on to another one.
Cheers,
Ather

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 pm
NFT5 wrote:Send it to Arthur. (Tussik)

https://www.youtube.com/user/tussik01/videos

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
I've seen his videos before. This guy is a master surgeon !!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:45 pm
Curious to know what sort of dent removal equipment Arthur is using in the videos. They all look like various forms of hydraulic tools. Any particular brands and cost?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:30 am
Generally it's all pretty standard stuff that one will find in most body shops, anywhere in the world. Brands would be local, of course (he's Lithuanian) but equivalents available here and where you are.

The big frame puller is hydraulic and he also uses this as a base to pull smaller dents using weld-on studs and similar. The spotter is pretty standard issue as are other tools.

The big difference that I've noticed is that he tends to use industrial hammers, rather than specific body/panel hammers. Suitable for some of the heavier work that he does.

He is a master.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint