Primer & Paint Using Aerosol Cans over Filler

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:46 pm
Hi everyone,

I had a rust spot on my truck that I just fixed up (tiny about 3" x 4" lower fender). I cut out the rust and welded in a new piece of metal. I sanded beyond the repair area to bare metal feathering and feathering back to the factory ecaot. Then I used dyna-glass on the and filled my weld and the metal area. Final filled with top filler and sanded. I am ready to prime the area and paint. I will be using factory lacquer spray can which says its an acrylic lacquer (black clear coat).

What are my options now when it comes to primer? I have seen the 2k primers (2 parts) online. Shouldn't I be able to just use a sandable primer from the parts store (not 2 part), sand and then use my lacquer? The exposed area isn't huge and its partially covered by the fender flare.

Once I get past the primer decision, will this type of lacquer also need a clear coat or is that built into these factory match cans? Reason I ask is because the can says black clear coat.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:53 am
Sure you can use the primer from the parts store its also probably lacquer, but make sure it is. the lacquer will just need more coats to build. I would try a test spot to make sure it doesn't lift the oem finish where you feathered it out, broken edges may be the problem.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 am
badsix wrote:Sure you can use the primer from the parts store its also probably lacquer, but make sure it is. the lacquer will just need more coats to build. I would try a test spot to make sure it doesn't lift the oem finish where you feathered it out, broken edges may be the problem.
Jay D.

Thanks for the reply, I ended up using what they had at the store which was 1k clear coat. I put down about 5 coats and after further research apparently I have to wait at least a few weeks before polishing it.

Curious if 2k spray can clear can be applied over lacquer paint?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:29 pm
lacquer shrinks as it cures that's the reason, if you buff when its still green the peel will come back as it cures. sure I would think shaker can urethane clean would work good. I shoot urethane over lacquer a lot just make sure the prep is good.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 pm
badsix wrote:lacquer shrinks as it cures that's the reason, if you buff when its still green the peel will come back as it cures. sure I would think shaker can urethane clean would work good. I shoot urethane over lacquer a lot just make sure the prep is good.
Jay D.

Thanks Jay good info to know for the future!

Return to Body and Paint