What paint & primer brand for painting angle iron

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Honduras
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:46 pm
I realize this is a forum for painting cars, but I've been painting my metal projects with whatever is available on the island and I don't like the results. I was told that paint for a car would produce a better outcome, so I've come here to ask for advice.

First, some background. I'm a retired Electrical Engineer / Professional Software Developer living on Roatan island where I fabricate projects out of mild steel angle iron, flat stock, square tube, etc., using MIG & TIG. I NEVER weld anything to do with cars. After the welding is done, I need to protect the project from rust. There is no expertise on the island for me to consult. I spray in a high humidity environment because that's what it's like here year round (think Key West). I purchase equipment out of Miami as there's nothing on the island. Steel cleaned one day has a thin coat of rust on it the next. I usually use steel wool to get rid of it before priming.

I've got a 125PSI compressor with air dryers, water separators and a "Motor Guard" filter before air reaches my recently purchased 3M Accuspray system. I've been using the only paint product available (Ace Hardware metal paint and primer) and the results are OK. I'm looking to purchase auto paint and primer out of Miami and need to know what to get. I know you folks consider "rattle can" paint a joke, but I've used some and it produces a better job than what I've been accustomed to. It goes on thin and dries in no time.

I'm after what you might consider low end products for cost reason as I'm painting shelves, racks, dollies, etc, not a restored 57 Chevy.

Suggestions?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 pm
i'm not sure what to tell you, epoxy works well and is easy to apply brush roll or spray. one down side is outside it will fade and the color selection is not great. one thing you can do is use the epoxy then come over it before it cures with a urethane single stage color of your choice. most epoxys will mix for use as a sealer application you can do that then the urethane with no sanding in-between the coats.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:34 pm
Considering your climate, a marine type paint might work. Awlgrip is a brand that comes to mind. Badsix suggested epoxy, and there are several marine epoxys available that contain UV inhibitors that might work for you.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Non-Lurker

Honduras
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:51 pm
I should mention that I paint outside, but almost nothing I fabricate stays outside. Near everything either goes into air conditioned space or at least covered space.

That "outside" is usually 95 to 105 degrees ambient. I've worked with epoxy before and at those temperatures I figured epoxy was out of the question. My welding shop is a 20' shipping container. Even with a large fan and a domed roof installed, interior temps hit 120 as the sides aren't shaded.

After 11 years on the island, I've gotten accustomed to the heat. We set our A/C to 80 as below that we get a chill - I kid you not.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 pm
:goodpost: NightTrain, Awlgrip and marine epoxy are good suggestions. I wouldn't worry about hi temps with epoxy it's cool temps that cause problems. but I've never used epoxy in 100 deg. heat but I would think it would like it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 pm
PPG Amercoat Epoxy

PPG Pitthane for top coat.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis