what is causing my clearcoat to have clusters of pinholes ??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 am
Hi guys, I have been very frustrated with my work. Some days I clear coat my vehicles and There seems to be hundreds of pinholes in the clear coat. I am using OMNI clearcoat, Its 3 parts clear, and 1 part hardener.

I dust lightly at 30PSI, then Give it a few coats till its glossy. My technique may be different from others because I also do express mobile work so I am exposed to the elements. This is on a non-windy sunny day. This also happens when I am working in my shop. Any suggestions as to what I can change in my technique?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:04 am
try one rough coat (what you call dusting lightly maybe)

let flash - one more rough coat- let flash and then do a wet coat.

im guessing youre getting solvent pop because your coats are to heavy and you are not waiting long enough between coats.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:27 am
The name Omni makes me cringe.

What speed activator are you using?
What temperature while spraying?
How long did you let each coat flash?

I'm with Dave that this is probably solvent pop. Pictures would help to be sure.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 pm
Are you "fanning" the clear? That is, are you using the compressed air through your spray gun once you've applied your clear in an attempt to get it to dry faster? If so, you could simply be causing the surface to skin over trapping solvent in the lower layer. The solvent needs to go somewhere, and will push through the skinned surface causing pinholes.

Without seeing you and your technique, we're simply guessing but pictures will at least see what the results are.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm
:goodpost: all good ideas above. I've never used Omni and don't know anything about it , but a quick look and I didn't see any that mixed 3 to 1.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:55 am
i'll try to record all my steps by end of week as well as pics for you guys to see. While clearing , I am simply just keeping the air running with my finger lightly on the trigger. Temperature varies because I also do work outside.

I use Omniclear since it is provided for by work. I dust coat, count 30 seconds then give first layer of wet coat, another 30 secs and then the last coat.

Once again, my technique is different since I am doing mobile. I know it may not be the proper way but the only issue I have are those pinholes that happen time to time.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 am
bpearl66 wrote:i'll try to record all my steps by end of week as well as pics for you guys to see. While clearing , I am simply just keeping the air running with my finger lightly on the trigger. Temperature varies because I also do work outside.

I use Omniclear since it is provided for by work. I dust coat, count 30 seconds then give first layer of wet coat, another 30 secs and then the last coat.

Once again, my technique is different since I am doing mobile. I know it may not be the proper way but the only issue I have are those pinholes that happen time to time.

30 seconds ? yes it is solvent pop, wait 10 minutes or just a dust coat and wet coat and be done.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:08 am
You need to read the Tech Sheet for your particular product.
No way is 30 seconds enough flash time between coats.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Yeah, with that clear you'd definitely have trapped solvents if you are stacking those clear coats that fast. I always found Omni clears worked better for me if they were flashed to the outer limits of the flash time recommended in the p. sheet.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 pm
100% chance that's solvent pop. You need to wait 10 minutes between coats to give the solvents time to escape. You are also mixing it wrong. All of the Omni clears are either 2to1 or 4to1 with the exception of the intergrating clear.

Return to Body and Paint