Basecoat BIG Problem

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:11 am
There is a lot of bad advice on the internet and, unfortunately, spray painting is one subject that seems to attract an unusually large number of self-appointed experts.

The Technical Data Sheet should be your bible. It will detail required preparation for that particular paint, taking into account solids percentages and the specific nature of the paint in terms of mechanical adhesion needs. For the basecoats that I use (Centari system) the general recommendation is for P800 wet or P500 dry for metallics/pearls. That suits me since I've had a couple of instances where sanding scratches have remained visible from P600 when doing fine metallics. However, P600 wet is fine for solid colours.

Just sand your surface smooth and re-apply base.

The TDS will also detail basic gun settings for HP, RP and HVLP guns and a recommended tip size. Use these as a starting point and fine tune from there, remembering that every gun, indeed every aircap, can require different settings. I start with air pressure at 28psi (all my guns, except for a few old ones, are RP, so this is an excellent starting point. Then adjust fluid and fan until you get that perfect cigar pattern.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am
:goodpost: :goodpost:

You can get the TDS (technical data sheet) online for your particular product.

P600 should be fine according to Nason TDS. I have used P800 with no issues but not with your product line.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:44 am
NFT5 :goodpost:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint