Paint Aluminium Confusion

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:39 pm
It's a small scratch on the inside of a computer case.

Respraying it is overkill. Just get a little bottle of touch up paint and neatly brush touch the scratch. On an area of damage that small it will last forever.

If you're a perfectionist then go ahead and respray it with any spray can that matches the colour and finish that you want. I'd probably use an enamel paint. The most important thing is to leave the existing finish on there as your substrate and not expose any areas of aluminium which may require more complex preparation. So, no, don't sand it all off just clean it, scuff it and paint. Light coats, always light coats.

That's a nice case. I like the CM stuff - good quality at a reasonable price. Have a couple of their cases and fans and use their CPU coolers on 5 different machines.

The Mods here are pretty cool. Merging these threads will be the most excitement they'll get all day. :P
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:09 pm
for what your doing just scuff it with a red scotch bright pad clean it real good. best to use w/g remover and shoot some shaker can primer on it then color. don't worry about corrosion on what your doing, this ain't an airplane or a boat
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:20 am
I have no idea what's available in Portugal. how much is Krylon over there in us dollars.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:37 pm
why are you messing with the inside of a tower ? i got a Alienware gaming rig and couldnt imagine painting the inside. post a pic...
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:09 pm
Schofts wrote:Well the 3 links provided have different paint brands.

its about a buck more here so 7-8 us dollars. that's cheep, do you want someone to give it to you free :shocked:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:07 pm
i'm not trying to be sarcastic, but that's life in the painting world. I just went down to my jobber with a friend of mine to get paint and supply's to do a VW bug for him, its just a seller quickie in s/s urethane. it was near 400.00 with my measly discount. you never did say what color your going after, but why not just a s/s color then no clear would be needed. mater of fact for what your doing I would just shoot the color right on the aluminum, if prepped the way I said. buy one can and your done. :happy:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:03 pm
You can prime if you want to. I just suggested no primer as you were sniveling about the cost. if you use a red scratch pad and clean it real good with wax and grease remover letting it dry good then just color and no primer should be fine. its not going to be exposed to any harsh elements the worst that will happen to it is someone eyeballing it. its going to be roughly 10x20x24 in. I would think 1 can should do it, but how i'm I suppose to know for sure I don't have my finger on the nozzle. :rolleyes:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:40 am
2.88 oz :knockout: you should be able to get 12 and maybe 16 oz cans shop around or go with 4, 2.88 if you have to. I cant believe you can't get scotch bright pads, did you check the cleaning supply's dept. at your local food market. they usually have them they won't be under that name but are the same thing. 400 or 600 wet or dry would work so lets just get errrr done.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:50 pm
Those will work fine, all your wanting to do is put some type of profile on the aluminum so the paint has something to get a grip on. I'm going to really confuse you now , but personally if I were you I would just shoot the color right on the aluminum, just cleaning and degreasing it good. there are several shaker cans that designate DTM or direct to metal in your conditions inside of a computer case it should be good.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint