Aluminum painting question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 pm
Hello all!

I’m re-doing the interior of my brother's fishing boat and I’m looking to re-paint it. It’s just a older fishing boat so I’m not looking for a $300 paint job. Interior is already coated and in good condition except for a small area of bare metal from where the live well used to be. I'm looking for a low sheen, light grey color. Low sheen to keep sun reflection down and light grey to keep from getting too hot in the sun.

I have half a quart of Nason ful-poxy that I was going to use for the primer. Can I just use the primer as the topcoat? Just spray 2-3 wetter coats and call it a day. I like the flat sheen and color of the primer. Do I really “need” to put a topcoat over the primer? Will it hold up over time? I've heard (not sure if it's a rumor) that you don't want to do this sort of thing on metal because the primer could let moisture through (where a topcoat will not). But even if that was true, the substrate is aluminum so it won't rust, furthermore, the exterior hull of the boat is bare aluminum that sits in (and partially out of) the water.

Thanks!

Dave

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:04 pm
Look up the TDS for that primer online and confirm that it's ok to go on bare aluminium.

Most likely it is so just follow the TDS on surface preparation.

In that application it will probably last forever. Epoxy primers are pretty tough, especially those made for industrial applications, like the Nason products.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:01 pm
Thank you! According to the TDS it will work on bare aluminum with surface prep (which I will do in accordance with the TDS). I just wanted to make sure that it would hold up well as a stand alone topcoat.

Return to Body and Paint