Removing New Paint, have questions

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:23 am
Thanks guys for any input.
I had my Foxbody painted (White in color) about 2 months ago, and I am not happy with the outcome. The paint was / is very nice, but the blocking was done poorly. I can see several roof rail dings (small), and even a few low spots that was not blocked out. the car was painted with Sikkens paint. I simply want to sand it back down, and block the car myself before having it painted again. I thought I would use a DA with 180 and take it down before starting over, any suggestions?
Last edited by lsfox on Wed May 02, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 am
Take it back and get them to fix it.
Remember that a perfect paint job costs a lot of money because of the amount of time it takes to prep the panels. The rougher the car the longer it takes.
Also, I highly doubt any shop will guarantee a paint job spayed over your prep work.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:48 am
:goodpost: yep as a first recourse I would take it back and politely tell them your not happy with the work. ask if they think this is a satisfactory job for them to turn out and if they could fix it. let us know what happens.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:16 am
Thanks guys,
Actually I did go back and talk with the owner, and he said to bring it back and they would take care of it, he said he would get right on it the following week. I took it back the following day, and they put it in a corner and let it sit. Not to go into details, but he and I had trouble over it, and I picked the car back up. I do not intend to let it go, but for now I need to move forward.
I have had several cars painted, and done a lot of work on many of them myself, so I am not a complete newbie, however, I have never removed a 2 month old paint job and could use any input given.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:54 am
If the majority of the paint job is fine and well adhered, then don't strip it all off unless it was the second or third paint job on there.
Block sand over the areas that look bad with say 400 grit to get the lay of the land so to speak.
What will it take to fix these spots? Can you post pics of the trouble areas?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 am
68 Cornet,
I agree completely with being able to patch paint the bad areas, but the bad areas are too much of the car. I have had 2 other shops look at the car, and told me that it appears that no time was taken to block the car, leaving a lot of low spots.
NOW,
I have re-sanded the whole car down with 220 and then blocked it with 320 a total of 4 times until the guide coat showed no low spots. I honestly feel the car is in nice shape now.
I have access to a paint booth if I decide to try and paint it myself seeing as of right now I am still out of the money I paid the shop.
Questions if I decide to spray it?
1. Hand sand it with 400 and then 600 grit?
2. Wash it with dawn and rinse good, let dry and blow out any water and trash?
3. Wipe down with wax / degrease remover, the towel down?
4. wipe with a Tack cloth?
5. Apply the Base paint then clear paint?

And always, any input, criticism and feed back is appreciated.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 am
sad deal about the shop your itinerary to paint looks good
1 use a sanding pad and I use powdered guide coat you could guide coat the 320 so when you sand with the 400 you'll know if you missed any areas 400 to 600 probably not necessary.
2 do a good job here rinse under the fenders and body everywhere.
3 wipe on with a clean rag and wipe off with another clean rag I do 1 panel at a time you need to wipe in off the panel before it dries
4 unfold and fluff out your tack cloth .
5 good luck.

Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 am
im gonna add a littl to number 2 in badsix' suggestions:
after rinsing, blast out everything with air from every angle possible- even the engine bay.amazing how dirt can pop up when the paint guns go into action.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:41 am
:goodpost:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 am
Update,,

I have the car in pieces, and will be painting it next Tuesday. I just finished the water sanding with 400 grit, and plan to water sand with 600 grit probably Sunday. I will wash it good with dawn before putting it in the paint booth and whipping it down with a tack cloth.

1 question,, would it be ok to clean it with rubbing alcohol or do I need to use the grease & wax remover?

I will post up pictures when finished.
Next

Return to Body and Paint