Protecting Hidden Metal Areas

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:25 am
PainterDave wrote:my epoxy mix is 4:1 in Valspar and 3:1 in PPG
what is you reason for saying that a 1:1 mix is quality over a 4:1 or a 3:1 mix ratio ?

matrix is a more budget line but im sure the epoxy will be fine

they fail in color match.

I figured that Matrix was not top of the line but to at least get me through these hidden parts of the car I figured it would do. Though I’ve still read plenty of people saying that say Matrix has produced some nice finishes for them. When you say they fail color match do you mean as far as getting close to a current factory color for vehicle repair or simply from can to can?

NightTrain wrote:
tdz16 wrote:.........
I’ve also been reading that I can shoot clear over the epoxy primer for these hidden areas, any thoughts? I figure I could just use black primer sealer and clear over it. I don’t see any point in actually laying down paint in these areas.........

You can, but there's very little gained. The epoxy primer alone is more corrosion protection than the rest of the vehicle has.

With more reading I think I agree. For a surface that won’t be exposed to UV light, the epoxy primer should be fine on its own.

So, to be clear, when I shoot the epoxy that will be uncoated, I should mix it as a “sealer” using the reducer, correct?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:53 pm
tdz16 wrote:.......So, to be clear, when I shoot the epoxy that will be uncoated, I should mix it as a “sealer” using the reducer, correct?

I would mix it as a DTM primer. In situations like this, I just brush it into the nooks and crannys as Coronet mentioned, and don't bother with spraying. If the metal is clean enough I use primer, if there's rust that can't be reached I use a rust converter. Really anything you do will protect sufficiently; much better than the factory. (65 Mustangs came off the assembly line with the cowl 'hats' in bare metal, and they rusted like crazy. Ford learned quickly though, and painted them in subsequent years.)
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 pm
PainterDave wrote:my epoxy mix is 4:1 in Valspar and 3:1 in PPG
what is you reason for saying that a 1:1 mix is quality over a 4:1 or a 3:1 mix ratio ?

matrix is a more budget line but im sure the epoxy will be fine

they fail in color match.

Maybe I worded that wrong, my point was the quantity of the RTS epoxy and yes, I admit I am not a fan of Matrix, Omni, etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Previous

Return to Body and Paint