Tiger stripes or Lighting????

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:43 pm
Okay, so I picked up a fun car awhile back that turned out to be in a lot better shape cosmetically than I thought. It's a 1987 Pontiac Fiero fully resto modded with the 3800 SC II motor/4t65eHD tranny, big brakes, etc. Very obvious tiger stripes in the metallic silver right smack in the middle of the hood but oddly enough not that visible in full sun....hmmm. Not much paint thickness, plastics in good shape, clear coat looks okay so I'll work over that as my base. Just order more of the metallic silver base and hit it over the whole nose. Did that and hmmmm.... I think I am still seeing tiger stripes. Sanded it back, hit some more base, and yeah, they diminished but I think I am still seeing them. Sanded back again, hit everything with 2 coats of ********** intercoat clear. Let that flow/dry and hit the silver again. Hmmmm.... looks pretty good but I swear I am still seeing just a little bit of a slight goldish stripes, so I finished up with an old style drop coat. I could just barely see anything now. Okay, so here comes the really strange things.....
I am walking out the door and turning out my "new" LED shop lights and my room motion sensor lights come on. Look back and I don't see any trace of the stripes!???? I walk back to the car and get a 150 watt hand held light and pass it over the entire hood and nothing. I tried taking a picture of the hood with and without flash and I am not seeing anything there. I took my camera phone flashlight app. and passed it over the hood and see nothing wrong..... If I turn those shop lights back on I can still see some kind of color shift but it doesn't match the original tiger stripe patterns at all. Those lights put out about 27,000 lumens in total at a 5k rating which is pretty much the norm with these new style lights.
So any thoughts on this?....could it just be some spurious reflections or am I still "really" having problems? Probably need a sun gun to put it to rest......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 am
So any thoughts on this?.

stop lookin at the hood?? :)
when you resprayed, did you change direction of spray pattern? move front to back of hood rather than side to side?

get it in natural sunlight to inspect.
and take pics to post here.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:22 am
Got natural light on it this morning and.....nothing. Had the inspector general look at it (my wife) and....nothing. Tried to take a half dozen pic.s of it and.....nothing. So I guess it is official, "With old age.... of the things that I have lost.... I miss my mind the most....."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:52 pm
When you put it back in the garage under the LED lights does it looked striped?
I installed LEDs in my paint booth but noticed they can play tricks with the eyes, especially if you happen to be looking indirectly in their direction.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:13 pm
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it is the LED shop lights. I also still have some upper LED trim lights in that same shop that have the older more yellow look to them. I think I might be seeing some cross shadowing from them as well.
I was considering upgrading our old florescent lights in the wood shop but this has me concerned somewhat.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:51 pm
At first I ordered the daylight 5000k 8' "clear" bulbs for the booth. That was a mistake so I swapped them out for the "frosted" and it is much easier on the eyes. The clear bulbs had me seeing spots everywhere from the individual LEDs shining into the room.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:06 pm
And those are exactly what I got, the 5k clear ones....... :(

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:52 pm
I am moving mine into the main garage area as I get time.
They provide lots of light but just now good when doing detail work.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:35 pm
And this is just too funny, so I pulled the hood to almost full vertical open and..... there are gold colored tiger stripes going diagonally across.... So, yep, it was the lights.... I'll also be moving these things to another work area as well. Looks great outside....no traces of anything, nice even metallic.....

Return to Body and Paint