Baked vinyl removal before painting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:31 pm
When I first got my car it had a black roof wrap that was starting to crack. Upon further examination it turns out the previous owner damaged the paint, and threw a wrap on it. The cracks weren't the vinyl, it was cracks in the paint showing through the vinyl. Long story short I'm going to strip it down to the aluminum and repaint it. My problem is that the vinyl is so badly damaged that it would take days to peel off. Will paint stripper eat up the vinyl too? I'm just trying to find a more expedient way of removing it, and everything I've searched online about removing doesn't account for planning on painting it after.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:28 pm
Have you tried a heat gun? I would treat it as two separate things.... vinyl out of way first, then move on to stripper.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:06 pm
I was able to find a better hear source than a gun. I dug into the closet and found an old clothing steamer. Dump some steam on it while sliding a blade under worked great. It came off in strips as long as I could reach across the hood.

Now I'm just trying to nail down my primer process. It's going to be here aluminum, and there are some nicks in it so I'll want to make sure I use something I can sand afterwards. Any pointers on epoxy primer vs self etching and what to use on top? I went with Martin senour since napa is close and all of the paint shops around wanted to charge $300-$400 for all of the liquids.

Return to Body and Paint