Switch to Waterborne to match color in a home shop?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:53 pm
I am trying to match an existing color on my 65 Caddy as I want to do some artwork on the trunk. The car had been repainted prior to me buying it and they didn’t bother prepping it correctly so sanding off the trunk isn’t a problem.

I pulled one of the fender skirts off and took it down to my local jobber who helps me out quite a bit. He used one of those cameras and only got a 33% match which apparently is bad.

So pulling out a code for the factory color (Samoan Bronze) produced a mix that was too red, too dark, too off, tried adjusting it a few times but he just couldn’t get a decent match with the solvent based Omni.

I plan on repainting the entire car, probably in a few years but in the meantime I would like the base of trunk’s artwork to be a closer match.

The counter guy (again a really nice guy) did bring out some color chips and we found one that was a really good match. The only problem is that it is only available in a PPG waterborne paint which I have never used in my many months of experience (did I tell you that I am a rookie at this stuff?)

I asked some questions about waterborne paints, but I figured that I would get your guy’s expertise.

• Are the waterborne paints suitable to be painted in a home garage (aka “The Pig Barn”) situation? My current temps in the garage reach 90 degrees and we have (Northern California) pretty low humidity.
• Can it be sprayed over my regular (HOK KD3000, Tamco & Omni) primer/sealers?
• Can I spray my regular clears over it? (HOK Rokket, Urekrem, Omni)
• Do I use the same gun and same tip size? (Sagola 4600 & 1.3 tip)
• Do water based basecoat materials require some special water based cleaners for the gun
• Anything else I should know or lookout for?
• Any different painting techniques? Gun setup, overlap, pressure etc etc etc???

Obviously if I can use it, I will purchase the matching reducer.

My jobber’s shop is a smaller place, they don’t carry the PPG Shopline, just the Omni and the water based. I could go try a different (nationwide) place that is down the street from my work but would like to support my local guy if possible.

Thanks ahead of time for any help
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:26 pm
• Are the waterborne paints suitable to be painted in a home garage (aka “The Pig Barn”) situation? My current temps in the garage reach 90 degrees and we have (Northern California) pretty low humidity.
-Yes perfect temp. its actually the cold weather that you want to look out for.. waterbourne takes forever to dry in cold weather. Waterbourne uses outside air temp and airflow to dry, so keep that in mind for your flash times.

-Yes, just don't go on wet your first coat, spray a couple light coats to build up the waterbourne paint then spray your wet coats..

-Yes

-Yes

• Do water based basecoat materials require some special water based cleaners for the gun
You can buy them but just use Hose water.. and blow air to dry out your gun..Do Not USE thinner or any solvents to clean waterbourne though for it will gum up.

-not really.

• Any different painting techniques? Gun setup, overlap, pressure etc etc etc???
-spray it like you would solvent.

Obviously if I can use it, I will purchase the matching reducer. Buy the waterbourne reducer part number #494.. 10% for non metallics, 20% for metallics, and 30% for pearls and intercoat clears.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 pm
yes you can, most are just latex based, so use a light fan for drying.
yes
yes
you can
yes
dont put on heavy or it will crack

a little but hard to explain. give it a try
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:51 pm
PainterDave wrote:• Are the waterborne paints suitable to be painted in a home garage (aka “The Pig Barn”) situation?...

Well, I guess what do I have to lose? I guess living in California I should learn to use them.

• Any suggestions on the cleaners for the gun?

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Well I just noticed that Littlevil actually already answered my question regarding cleaners.

I have already ordered an Aqua cap for my Sagola 4600, so its time to learn something new!

After I clean the gun out real well - I usually do, should I run some acetone through it (my usual solvent cleaner) to get all of the water out and ready for solvent bases BCs again?

I know PD's answer - I should buy a Sata 5000RP just for Waterborne BCs (I want to!)

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:06 pm
yea you can, after i run water through my gun ill just hook it up to air and blow any remaining water out the air cap, then put my finger over the air cap to blow any remaining out the top.. Then yea you can blow acetone or thinner through the gun to help evaporate any remaining water

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 am
OldFatBald wrote:
PainterDave wrote:• Are the waterborne paints suitable to be painted in a home garage (aka “The Pig Barn”) situation?...

Well, I guess what do I have to lose? I guess living in California I should learn to use them.

simple green works i believe, or just get some waterborne cleaner from jobber

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:39 am
OldFatBald wrote:

Well I just noticed that Littlevil actually already answered my question regarding cleaners.

I have already ordered an Aqua cap for my Sagola 4600, so its time to learn something new!

After I clean the gun out real well - I usually do, should I run some acetone through it (my usual solvent cleaner) to get all of the water out and ready for solvent bases BCs again?

I know PD's answer - I should buy a Sata 5000RP just for Waterborne BCs (I want to!)

yes you should lol

Valspar DeBeer LIC

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 pm
I got an Aqua Cap for my (1.3 tip) 4600.

I am going to be using PPG Envirobase waterborne BC over a sealer (either HOK SS01 or reduced down KD3001)

Should I get one of the PPG DIN4 viscosity cups for the BC?
from the PPG tech sheet "23 - 28 seconds, DIN4 @70°F"
I will be shooing a metallic, what is a coverage coat/control coat/drop coat?
What psi at the gun with the Aqua Cap and Sagola 4600 (1.3 tip)?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:33 am
viscosity cups are always a good thing.

i have no other answers for you buddy

Valspar DeBeer LIC