Chassis Saver and S8 Ruducer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!



Settled In
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 am
I ended up putting around a gallon of what was left of Chassis Saver into Jars, some glass and other plastic jars with screw on lids.

I greased the jar lids and also used some plastic from grocery store plastic bags under the lids. Probably should have used regular plastic wrap, perhaps I'll redo the jars which the last time checked a few weeks ago seem to be doing ok. I'll go out and check them again then replace the plastic bags with plastic wrap.

So perhaps over the long run grease and/or plastic wrap in jars with screw-on lids helps preserve this sort of paint?

I think you may need to be careful to not mix in too much reducers when storing the paint as the reducer tends to expand and can crack open a regular metal paint can lid.

I noticed this with another gallon can I had added some reducer to and then closed tight using a hammer. I found the can had fallen off a table with the lid cracked opened. The paint had started to dry and become chunky. Was too far gone to try to salvage.

It appeared after reducer was added to the paint, then closing the paint can air tight, the reducer expanded and cracking open the lid and causing the paint can to fall off the table.

Lesson learned, don't add to much reducer and then close the paint container potentially causing the paint container to blow open.

From what I understand the reducer S8 is actually Xylene and can be found at Home Deport for around ~$18 - $19 per gallon. It's a thinner / reducer used with various types of enamel and epoxy paints.

you need to be careful around it and don't want to breathe it in heavy concentrations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylene

How bad is xylene for you?
The main effect of inhaling xylene vapor is depression of the central nervous system, with symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. The effects listed below can begin to occur with exposure to air levels of about 100 ppm.

Is xylene hazardous?
It is volatile, readily producing flammable and toxic concentrations at room temperature. Its vapor is heavier than air and may accumulate in low-lying areas. Xylene's odor generally provides adequate warning of hazardous concentrations. Xylene is rapidly absorbed after inhalation and ingestion.Oct 21, 2014
Previous

Return to Body and Paint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], joebeadg and 38 guests