How long does it take for acrylic paint to dry?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:20 am
I never used cheap paint, I want to try it, but I paint outside, so if it will take much longer to dry than double stage, it will probably get much more dust.
How much longer will it try than double stage? Twice longer?
thanks.
Experience: 40 body parts.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:12 am
Im not sure what you mean by acrylic? acrylic enamel or acrylic lacquer or what.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:41 pm
As Jay notes, your terminology is a little unclear but drying times can vary enormously depending on thinners used and application thickness.

Using acrylic lacquer with a medium/fast thinner and light to medium wet coats can see out of dust times of less than 5 minutes. Heavy, wet coats using a slow thinner might result in times of up to 20 minutes.

Air dry acrylic enamels are a bit slower, but again depend on coating thickness and type of paint.

Technology is changing the nature of paints at an amazing rate. I've just switched to a new "everyday" clear in my shop. Duxone Blue (Axalta) - it's an HS acrylic urethane clear that sees out of dust times of about 5 minutes at ambient (in shop) temperatures of only 15C, using fast hardener, yet has all the advantages of a normal 2K clear in terms of flow out and overspray melting in that the "express" or "speed" clears don't have. Awesome stuff, it's faster than acrylic but, at around $30/litre, very economical.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint