Clearcoat on hood ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 am
I have painted several cars and done body work but never tried to repair clear coat on a car. I have a friend that has a black car and the clear coat is starting to break down on his hood. It is milky looking in a spot that covers an area that is maybe 12 to 15 inches total. There is no flaking that I can see or spots where I can feel an edge . Should I sand whole hood and put new base coat on it or will sanding and just putting new clear on it be ok ? Would all the clear have to be sanded off or just problem area ? I know the whole hood would have to be sanded for new clear to stick . If just putting new clear on it would fix it what grit sandpapers should be used before shooting new clear on it ?
Thanks for any advice you guys may give me. This site has helped me so many times when I ask about other things I know someone can tell me the proper way for the fix to last.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:00 am
hard to say,

but if i was painting it i would strip it
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:48 am
:goodpost: I agree that's the proper way to fix the problem. probably soon to come will be other spots just like the hood.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint