Goose bumps in finish

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 pm
I have another project coming up. Last year the paint on this car was fixed up pretty good with a basecoat/clearcoat. I had taken the trunk down to bare metal and refinished it and a professional paint and body shop and done some repair work on one fender and the hood. Then in spring the car had developed a mechanical problem and wasn't drivable. About then we had one storm after another with hail for a couple weeks. To protect the car I covered the hood, roof and trunk with furniture blankets and then laid plywood over the top. Since the storms were coming one after another it was left that way. Then when it was over I removed everything and discovered the finish had developed bumps all over it much like goose bumps on your skin. Over time much of it has shrunk back down but not completely. Both the finishing work the body shop did and my paint did this. I don't know what the body shop used but I used a urethane clearcoat. I would like to know what happened and what the fix should be. I would have expected a clear coat to hold up to rain water even if it was for two weeks. The finishes had cured for at least three months before this happened.
Attachments
IMGP1881.JPG
Last edited by Il steve on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:52 pm
Here's what I think. when a paint job is covered and wet for an extended time water will soak into the paint. same thing happens to a boat below the water line if its left setting in the water for an extended amount of time. covering a car with tarps or visqueen will cause more problems than just leaving it set uncovered.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:14 am
badsix wrote:Here's what I think. when a paint job is covered and wet for an extended time water will soak into the paint. same thing happens to a boat below the water line if its left setting in the water for an extended amount of time. covering a car with tarps or visqueen will cause more problems than just leaving it set uncovered.
Jay D.
Even with the damage to the paint it was a wining situation. During that period there was a couple occasions where there was damaging hail. I was just surprised the paint was damaged. Had I known, I had a lot of furniture blankets. I could have changed the blankets after every storm.

This is the car. It's a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88
Attachments
Car after.jpg
Car after.jpg (85.87 KiB) Viewed 1503 times

Return to Body and Paint