More durable coatings to go over a Duplicolor Lacquer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:27 pm
Hey there guys and gals. I have a bit of an issue on my hands here, yet another duplicolor disaster as it were. Actually is isn't that bad (yet). I sprayed some panels from a server cabinet for a custom build I am doing for myself using some of Duplicolor's 'Paint Shop' clear matte lacquer mixed with some colorshift flake. It honestly looks pretty **** awesome as it stands. My problem lies within the durability. I figured it would be much harder than it is by now (it has been sitting a week since the last coat) I can scrape my nails over it and its okay, however even the slightest touch with a key leaves a deep scratch and seems to pull the lacquer coat slightly away from the under coat ( it leaves white lines around the scratch). I assume the undercoat (original paint) is some kind of urethane, as it is fairly chemical resistant. The durability is just not acceptable for me at this point. For something that is meant for going on a car, I thought it would get significantly harder than it has.

Anyway, I have been to my local automotive paint store and it seems like all they have are urethanes, which is to be expected, I suppose. I know putting a urethane over lacquer is not ideal, and that urethanes have changed a lot since they were used to go over lacquer back in the day during the transitional period between the two technologies. My question is: has anyone done this or something similar to this with good results here recently? I am not committed to spraying a urethane over the lacquer, but it seems to be what is most available near me, and is actually durable. I understand scuffing is essential, and several thinner coats within the recoat window is better than a flow coat in terms of letting the volatiles flash off before they can liquefy the lacquer underneath too much... I am looking for direction in going forward with covering the lacquer with something more resilient, I really would rather not strip off all of it and start over with a urethane, even though that is probably the best thing to do as far a durability goes. Lesson learned, don't buy the cheap stuff, especially a lacquer!

All input is welcome and appreciated!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:06 am
You are working against a bunch of problems here.... First, if those are production style panels from a modern factory they are at least some type of catalyzed lacquer and at most some type of UV cured coating done in a panel coating machine. When your are spraying over an existing coating like this you are not getting any type of chemical "bite" into it at all with something as simple as the Duplicolor. In our restoration/conservation work with furniture we clean, sand, coatings like that aggressively with 240 grit leaving plenty of surface profile for grip. We then shoot specially made "chemically hot" sealers and barriers which do bite in to the existing coating and then move on to our regular catalyzed coatings.

Trying to put a protective coat over all of this at this point is not going to improve anything. Same old story....poor foundation= poor house. For a consumer you are better off starting all over, and this time you need to start with the bare wood surface...... and this time...shop around online for premium furniture grade coatings.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 pm
Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to clarify something out of the gate, it is a server cabinet to house computers so it is steel underneath not wood, so the coating is a bit different (odd project, I know) the coating on these things is pretty satin and rough from the factory so I figured I could get away without scuffing there. I dont think that changes much but just wanted to make that clear.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm
Yep, that makes a difference. So you are working over probably a powder coating of either a polyester or epoxy base. Needed to be cleaned, sanded up and move into a "good" automotive system. Still of the opinion that putting auto urethane is not going to make you have "better" or harder surface over that simple Duplicolor.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:19 pm
Okay I figured that might be the case, unfortunately. Now for an automotive urethane, I am assuming I could purchase the base coat base as essentially a clear to mix my shift flakes into, and then use the clear top coat to do just that. Would I need to apply any special primer over the powder coat, or would scuffing it suffice? I'm also considering sending it out and getting it striped and powder coated elsewhere if the price would be in the same ball park as an automotive system. Any idea what powder coating usually runs versus a quality automotive spray job? Also, can you recommend any good bang for buck auto systems? A quart of nice clear with hardener is going to run me about 100 bucks as it stands. I can probably get that down with a business account, and then I also would need a base. That was from Sherwin Williams.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 pm
If it were me I would either take the Duplicolor off and start over or use the Duplicolor clear. Of course refinishing would make a better more durable finish but it's your choice.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 am
Alright thanks for the input guys. I went to Sherwin again today and spoke with the manager there. They are having a sale on a gallon clear system regular $400 for $112 so I really can't argue with that price. I don't mind putting in the extra labor if it means I'll get a better finish when it's a said and done, it was mostly the cost that was hanging me up. I'm still waiting to get a quote for powder coating but i really don't think they would be near that price point. I'll post pics when she is done!

Return to Body and Paint