Has anyone used Diamond Clear's DTM Clear Coat?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 am
I have some metal parts that where left bare steel from the factory and am looking for a DTM clear for them. Eastwood and KBS Products have a clear they claim is for this application. I'm just leary about paints that require no hardner. Just wondering if someone has used it and if it held up or if there are any other DTM Clears out there that are 2K?

Product in question: https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

Thanks in advance for your input ~ Lenny B

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:00 am
We used it in our restoration shops in the past (brass, copper, peweter, steel).....no real problems with durability however after I got Iso poisoning from another source (excuse me, they officially call that "sensitivity") I did not feel safe having it in the shop. The msds sheets on it do plainly state that it contains polyisocyanates and that you should have a supplied breathing source when using it.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 pm
What Darrel said plus it's an MCU (Moisture Cured Urethane), in which the humidity in the air starts the crosslinking process. It's as durable as anything you'll find and dosen't yellow. I coated some wheels with it a couple years ago and they still look good. The KBS and Eastwood products are probably the same; I think Eastwood's is offered in an areosol can now for ease of use. Take Darrel's advice on spraying it though, even being a 1K it's the same health hazard as a 2K.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:56 am
Thanks guys.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:46 pm
Darrell,
What do you use now that doesn't contain polyisocyanates?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:53 pm
I wear a full "space suit" with a supplied air helmet system. The air supply feed is located outside my building. I wrap my self up pretty good so the air literally inflates the whole suit with constant cool air. I even wear it during the mixing stage with paints/clears.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:33 am
Darrel have you heard of Everbright?

It is DTM, gloss or satin, self levels, lasts 5-10 years in the sun but can be renewed by reapplying
I ordered a test kit several years ago, but didn't get around to tested it yet.
https://www.everbritecoatings.com/index.html

They have another one with different levels of a natural finish
http://everbrite.net/protectaclear/

Looks very interesting and safe if it works.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:49 am
Yes, I am familiar with their products. They are used somewhat in archival restoration work and I do know that their original coating process is iso free. It is a true 1k product as conservation people are big on "renewable" treatments for metals. I've heard good things about it but personally have never used it or tested it myself. There second product you listed there must be newer as I have never heard about it......
Based on what I've been hearing lately we might be nearing a quality replacement for Iso hardeners.....

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 am
Thanks Darrel, that may be the information I needed to prompt me to test it. :bighug:

Return to Body and Paint