Bondo 272 Bondo-Glass Fiberglass Filler - open can

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:30 am
Hello,

Purchased some Bondo 272 Bondo-Glass Fiberglass Reinforced Filler Online back in late April 2018. After receiving item and placed in storage unopened for use at a later date.

Recently went out and wire wheeled and sand rusted areas with rust holes. (under vehicles roof drip edges)

Removed the plastic lid with hardener from the can and found the Bondo metal can was slightly cracked opened with small amounts of some blueish Bondo where the metal lid closes.

I opened the lid the rest of the way to find the Bondo to be blueish and sort of greasy. However I'm not certain exactly what consistency it's suppose to be as I haven't ever used Bondo 272 in the past.

I'm not hundred percent certain, the hardener doesn't appear to have ever been opened.

I closed the lid and haven't tried to use it.

Since too many days had passed for a return the online store purchased from gave me a refund and said to keep it to do whatever I want with it.

I'm wondering perhaps if it's still usable? I'm working on repairing a 98 Jeep Cherokee that developed roof leaks caused by rust under and near the drip edges.

Should I try to first test it on some metal to see if it's still ok? or just throw it away?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:00 am
sure, try a small amount on something and see how it works. it should be ok as long as it was sealed tightly.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 am
Fiberglass fillers can look kind of "iffy" even when in a sealed can. I've got a fairly simple test I do. I have some raw steel sheet metal cut outs that I 80 grit with a DA. Try your filler over that. Come back in a half day or so....try to flex off the filler first, then screwdriver/chisel it off and see how it fails. If it just pulls off cleanly, I'd be inclined to toss it. If you are at least getting some transfer left on the metal after abusing it I'd use it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:37 pm
The problem is the body filler metal can was delivered to me unsealed. I didn't notice the lid was open as there is a large plastic lid on top of the can that holds the hardener and I suppose can be used to mix the filler with hardener.

It appears someone may have purchased the Bondo, removed the plastic lid, opened the can then decided to return the product forgetting to seal the metal can lid. Or it came from the manufacture with the lid unsealed and/or somehow popped open. There was a small amount of blue body filler where the lid fits to the can.

I've had paint cans pop open all by themselves when too much reducer was added to a paint can.

I'll first try testing the Bondo as suggested.

The Bono 272 was ordered from Amazon.com Services, Inc.

Amazon was good enough to issue a special refund without needing to return the item, because it didn't qualify for a normal return, perhaps because it was ordered more than 90 days ago back in April.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Reply from 3M.

Unfortunately, I would say that you'd want to buy new product. The fillers have a shelf life of 16 months, when unopened. However, if this can was partially opened, there is no telling how it would perform when exposed to various elements. I apologize.
_____

I think 3M is worried that once exposed to various elements it won't perform well enough.

It was still sealed using the plastic lid, perhaps if not good for auto repair will still work for other types of repairs?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 pm
Test it....it either works or gets tossed. All or nothing....no degree of semi-useable.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:33 am
I tested it and it didn't harden well enough so I purchased a can of Bondo 762 which is the same only with longer hair.

The Bondo worked to patch the rust holes however in around ~15 ~20 seconds it solidifies.

Perhaps much hardener was added? I would recommend using smaller amounts of hardener and allowing it to take longer time to cure.

I followed the instructions adding what I thought was the correct ratio of hardener, possibly could have added too much.

My repair was from underneath, the Bondo requires to be held long enough to the repair area for it to stick or it falls off.

Also it doesn't get super hard when completely done hardening, has sort of a rubbery texture.

Return to Body and Paint