Paint codes for newer factory colors?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 am
I am having some custom painting done and want to use Ford Velocity Blue which is a medium metallic pearl. But the shop I want to use uses BASF paints and BASF apparently doesn't have a code yet for that color (or several other Ford colors for the 2018-19 model years). Ford's code for Velocity Blue (per BASF Color Explorer Online) is E7 M7423 KDREWHA

I am wondering what my options are and the pros and cons.

I don't need that exact color, just something real close. Are there ways to find the nearest existing BASF (R-M) paint code?

I assume, a shop can use other brands of paint if they choose. Does that increase the odds of problems down the road, due to less experience with paints from that brand? I have no idea if that is even "a thing". Plus I can't find that color code from PPG or Dupont either.

I'm assuming the material costs would be higher if they didn't use their normal BASF. Could they buy the paint already mixed or would they have to buy all the components and mix them?

I'm really not understanding why the major paint suppliers don't have a code for that paint yet. It may have only been sold on cars for 3-4 months but as I mentioned there are colors that have been out over a year with no aftermarket codes yet. Don't automakers work with the major paint companies to make sure the paint is available? If someone owned a car in that color, would they NOT be able to get repairs that involved paint?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:36 am
Man, I don't get this at all...... I am a dabbler in "new" colors when I go to the auto shows most years. I see something that I haven't seen before and I'm back online the next day looking at codes/colors. I usually like to check out colors by simply going to the auto touch-up supply sites and get a bottle, even aerosol of what I've seen and do some spray outs with it before I move ahead and consider it for an overall on my next kit build.

So, I looked up your code and I see it just about everywhere.... Here is an example....
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch- ... 9/mustang/ That seems to be a pretty stock color as they have that in ALL their sizes from ounce to gallons. I checked....
Chris, our mighty leader here, can usually have Tamco ship direct to you just about any paint code. Send him a private message with the code. Tamco will provide a premium product that can be used with any of their line of clears or whatever your painter uses at that end. That color would look pretty great under a Tamco Euro Clear. That clear is more like a Glasurit clear.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am
Thanks.

I will ask the shop about that. I suspect they will say their lifetime warranty would not apply which would be too big a risk for my blood.

I tried to keep my original post simple so did not mention that about half of the car will be getting painted for this project which includes (among other things) having full length over the top stripes from the bottom of the front bumper to the bottom the rear bumpers. So the bumpers, hood, trunk, roof, etc will be sanded, the stripes laid down and then those entire panels re-cleared. If it was just some trim pieces that could be replaced, I wouldn't worry about the lifetime warranty but its too much to risk for this.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 am
Not big on warranties that are "lifetime". Look at the small print, see how they will deal with your problems. Check out the online BBB, Angie's List, and online reviews. I work with contractors from all walks of life and I'm always suspicious of that type of warranty especially on a wear item like paint.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm
lifetime warranty usually is 10 years

paint companies will deduct every year you got out of your paint,

so if it lasted 6 years they will pay 40% etc.

i wouldnt do a OEM paint job with a 10yr warranty for less than 10k,
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:15 pm
And see, that all makes sense to me......It is really a pro-rated warranty based on a wear item.
It's been awhile back but the attorney general here in Ohio started cracking the whip on companies offering most any "lifetime" stuff. Just really take a good look at that paint contract and "how" they intend to service it......

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am
Turns out they can get the components. I guess BASF Color Explorer is woefully out of date, since it also didn't have codes for at least one 2018 model year Ford color.

Turns out Velocity Blue does contain 3 different pearls and at least one is brand new.

Thanks to all. Sorry some went off on a tangent talking about warranty since I was not talking about that type of warranty.

Here is a sample of the color in question on a car I saw on a dealer lot.

Velocity Blue Mustang.jpg

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:42 pm
It turns out one of the 3 pearls is used in US currency and is a quasi controlled substance because counterfeiters could use it. So, the shop had to pay a fee to have the BASF distributor mix that pearl with another part of the formula for the paint. Wouldn't sell them that particular pearl by itself. Crazy world. I guess Ford dealers have to get that paint pre-mixed for their body shops. But maybe that's normal for dealers to get all factory colors pre-mixed.

Return to Body and Paint