Solvent pops in sealer coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:50 am
Last weekend I sprayed a thinned coat of Tamco epoxy as a seal coat over a prepped hood with expectations of scuffing it during the week to lay down bc/cc this weekend. I have about a dozen solvent pop craters on the surface now. They are quite visable after sanding the entire hood with 800. Can I fill these with a bit of finish putty as I would have to sand all the way down to the subbase to eliminate them which I do not want to do. First time this has happened as I have used the same routine with the rest of my body panels which are now in bc/cc and came out pretty good for a first timer.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:24 am
Hmmmmm..... a hood, huh?......The most polished/cleaned area..... Sure this isn't more like fisheye?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am
i'm with Darrel on this, USUALLY solvent pop is wide spread and not that deep. be careful about filling that you get good adhesion.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:46 am
Thanks for the replies. After a little more research I beleive your correct that it was fisheyes rather than solvent pop. Last night I sanded with 400 to get as close to the bottom without removing the entire epoxy seal coat. Most sanded out a few of the deeper are left I will spot sand those today and and move on. My first paint job and learning by my mistakes along the way. Other than sanding away money on many occasions its a hobby and a great stress reducer.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:48 am
Fisheye and solvent pop kind of look alike. I just usually think of "where" people have waxed/polished the crap out of areas. Solvent pop is usually more uniform and is literally popping up anywhere on the car.......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint