Painting metallic silver color in NJ or Tristate Area

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:32 pm
Hi fellow Senior Members,

I need help in painting fronted of the car (Bumper,Fenders,Aluminium hood & body side moldings).As the car is new & metallic silver color I am not confident enough to mess with it.Is there any one in NJ or Tri state area to pickup this project.I can drop off those panels or they can come to my place & paint them.

I am little flexible with timing(I can drop them off & wait up to two weeks).Only thing I care is it needs to be painted with good colors like PPG).I would love to touch base with someone who wants to pick this as a side project or if you know any good paint shop in NJ or Tri State area.Please let me know.

Can anyone please let me know any other better products than PPG or similar Products

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:52 pm
Any pointers would be great.

Based on my reading car needs three stage painting.Am I correct?
How does Tamco compared to PPG paint?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:51 pm
Since the chances of finding someone from this site in your area are pretty slim. And the car is new, why not get some quotes from a respectable shop in your area?

I just had our 2018 Toyota Avalon repaired (someone bumped us from behind) by a local shop that has an outstanding reference list. The repair looks perfect.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:08 pm
Thanks for your response.I am trying to get quotes for painting from body shops too.Can you suggest what would be decent price I should be looking at & what paint I need to ask them to use?

This is a new car & I am planning to keep it long time I dont want paint quality to be degraded after couple of years at least it should sustain closer to OEM quality paint.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:14 am
My rear bumper, the trim and a dented trunk lid were replaced/repaired, then painted to a perfect match for right at $2000.

Silver metallic will take an experienced pro to match properly. Be sure to ask each shop for some references and/or go online and look for reviews of the their work.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:05 am
Got it.So I just need painting without replacement so I should be looking around 1000$?

'68 Coronet R/T wrote:My rear bumper, the trim and a dented trunk lid were replaced/repaired, then painted to a perfect match for right at $2000.

Silver metallic will take an experienced pro to match properly. Be sure to ask each shop for some references and/or go online and look for reviews of the their work.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:06 am
How is quality of TAMCO compared to PPG?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:35 pm
I thought you were having this done by someone else? The pros will use the products they are accustomed to and have on hand.

As to the quality of TAMCO products I cannot speak directly of their colors because I have not used them personally. Their clears and primers are excellent so I assume their base will be the same. Hopefully others who have used the base will let you know their thoughts.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 pm
Yep.I am planning to get it done by professional & I just want to make sure they were using right product

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 am
You wont' be able to pick the products the pros use. Check their references and make sure you are happy with the warranty they offer.

If you start telling them what to do or what products to use, they will either turn you away or give you no warranty.
1968 Coronet R/T

Next

Return to Body and Paint