Blotchy paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:42 am
Hi Guys,
I’ve been learning to paint by watching videos and I ran into what at the time seemed like a problem. As you can see from the pics I shot Cromax black solvent paint over grey primer. I sanded the primer with 600 grid and I used prep-all before applying the paint. After applying the clear it looked amazing with no blotchiness. Does anyone know what caused the black base to look the way it did?

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/oneill202/Nissan/story

Thank you!

Al

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:21 pm
just my take on this but it looks like a high humidity problem. spraying in a high humidity situation and a fairly fast dry time with the coats to wet will cause the paint to collect some of this humidity. it usually leaves with the solvent evaporation but leaves the hazed look. this was a major problem with lacquer of the old days. lacquer and B/C are kinda like brother and sister. the cure would be to try and reduce the humidity, slow the flash time with a slower reducer and go lighter on your paint applications.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:14 pm
ill second that
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:03 pm
I don't know where you are at but I know we had the "leftovers" of humidity from that coastal hurricane that recently hit the Carolinas and our daily humidity was crazy. We shoot hybridized furniture lacquers which uses a blush resistant reducer. Even with our heated air turbine systems we encountered some minor blushing. We have separate blush retarders we add in small in amounts if this happens. The idea is to have some slower tail solvents in the mix to fix it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:23 pm
Was the prep-all wiped off properly and completely dry?

I have sprayed base when it is raining outside and never had any such problems.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:07 pm
badsix wrote:just my take on this but it looks like a high humidity problem. spraying in a high humidity situation and a fairly fast dry time with the coats to wet will cause the paint to collect some of this humidity. it usually leaves with the solvent evaporation but leaves the hazed look. this was a major problem with lacquer of the old days. lacquer and B/C are kinda like brother and sister. the cure would be to try and reduce the humidity, slow the flash time with a slower reducer and go lighter on your paint applications.
Jay D.

Thank you for the reply!

I suspect you're correct. It had rained the night before and I watered down the floor to keep dust down. I guess you can only do so much when painting in a garage. I think next time I'll wait a few days after it rains to paint.
Last edited by AO202 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:11 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Was the prep-all wiped off properly and completely dry?

I have sprayed base when it is raining outside and never had any such problems.

I'm in Georgia and the rain was heavy the night before. Humidity is the only thing I can think may have caused it. I did wait several minutes after wiping off the prep-all and applying the paint.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 pm
DarrelK wrote:I don't know where you are at but I know we had the "leftovers" of humidity from that coastal hurricane that recently hit the Carolinas and our daily humidity was crazy. We shoot hybridized furniture lacquers which uses a blush resistant reducer. Even with our heated air turbine systems we encountered some minor blushing. We have separate blush retarders we add in small in amounts if this happens. The idea is to have some slower tail solvents in the mix to fix it.

Thank you for the reply.

I live in Georgia and its pretty humid here. I also made matters worse by wetting the floor to keep the dust down. I'll remember to use a slower solvent next time the humidity is high.

Return to Body and Paint