Need advice fixing a flake job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:06 am
Wow.....really, salt and pepper! Man, the first shot out of my gun would have told me that was going in a horrible direction......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:18 am
flake jobs take A LOT of work to do properly.

i would charge around 12 grand to flake that truck. no body work

you could sand it down with 400/500 respray the flake, probably 5-8 coats of heavy mixed flake then clear it, sand it down and clear it another 3 times to get it flat.

still going with my recommendation of either leaving it alone or going back to silver
Last edited by PainterDave on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:14 am
Yeah, I'd shop out some silvers....there are some great looking ones out there......Personally, I don't think I could leave that alone.... but hey, that's just me.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 am
Lit549 wrote:Here's a few closer pics,trust me,it isn't small flake or metallic.

Ouch! I see what you mean.

Follow the advice these guys are giving you.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 am
that looks like the flake put on floor epoxy coatings. i can see why youre not happy

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:27 pm
:rotfl:^^^ that's exactly what it looks like. I've done a lot of flake back when we used lacquer. Dave wasn't b sing you about it being a lot of work to do it right, but you know how it looks when done wrong. I think I would go over it with a good bright silver then shoot the clear on with some fine - med flake. then on about the 3rd or 4th coat throw in some micro sequins for 1-2 coats then straight clear. oh by the way your going to need a lot of clear.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:13 pm
Yeah, yeah.....the epoxy floor thing....that's what it reminds me of......

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:45 am
Yea it bugs me ,sad too it would've looked killer if he would've just listened.He had the truck 8 mnths,which is fine but he hadn't touched anything!Im actually the one that blocked it and sanded the jambs.He charged me 4400$ .By the time it was ready,I was just ready to get my truck back as this guy was shady as ****.When I dropped it off,it was all good,thought he was a good painter as he puts out some killer jobs but I quickly found that those jobs are his "homies"..Well,lesson learned,and it was a free paint job for me,a kid hit me from behind so he paid for it.At this point I want to try and fix it myself,hell one paint shop here said they wouldn't even attempt it ,he said he didn't know if he could or wanted to pull it off..I'm seriously thinking about taking it all down and reshoot ing the orion silver as it looked sweet!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:40 pm
Lit549 wrote:Yea it bugs me ,sad too it would've looked killer if he would've just listened.He had the truck 8 mnths,which is fine but he hadn't touched anything!Im actually the one that blocked it and sanded the jambs.He charged me 4400$ .By the time it was ready,I was just ready to get my truck back as this guy was shady as ****.When I dropped it off,it was all good,thought he was a good painter as he puts out some killer jobs but I quickly found that those jobs are his "homies"..Well,lesson learned,and it was a free paint job for me,a kid hit me from behind so he paid for it.At this point I want to try and fix it myself,hell one paint shop here said they wouldn't even attempt it ,he said he didn't know if he could or wanted to pull it off..I'm seriously thinking about taking it all down and reshoot ing the orion silver as it looked sweet!

beware orion silver is hard to paint, it is very see through, like i said its a shame but id leave it alone
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 pm
PainterDave wrote: beware orion silver is hard to paint, it is very see through, like i said its a shame but id leave it alone

* What is your experience with auto painting?
* What tools do you have?

If you are highly experienced and can handle a tough color such as metallic silver, then I doubt that you would be asking these questions.

If you are just starting and want to get into the hobby, its your truck, I say go for it. Just plan on my program of applying then sanding it off then asking these guys WTH did I do wrong, reapply, sand some more, ask more questions etc etc etc. Hopefully learning a little bit each time.

Eventually you'll learn and maybe you'll be a natural at it, and get a difficult color perfect the first time. Odds are against it.

Not a cheap hobby (at all!) but fun.

Post photos as you go.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint