Need advice fixing a flake job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 pm
I had a shop paint my 85 c10 last year,her didn't spray the flake right.The truck is hok,orion silver with medium chrome flake.You can see where it's lighter in places which torally changes the color of the truck.Also it pattened pretty bad,looks cloudy where he sprayed,Can I just sand the clear and reshoot the flake,? Or would my best bet be sand it all off and repaint?He shot the flake in the clear.
Attachments
IMG_20180308_163508.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 am
Did you take it back to the shop to see if they will fix it?

Doesn't look bad in the picture. There is usually some color shift with flake jobs anyway.

If the clear is in good shape you can wet sand it with 600, clean, mask and spray.

Hopefully this is the only paint job on the truck because you don't want to have too thick of a film build if you want it to last.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:42 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Did you take it back to the shop to see if they will fix it?

Doesn't look bad in the picture. There is usually some color shift with flake jobs anyway.

If the clear is in good shape you can wet sand it with 600, clean, mask and spray.

Hopefully this is the only paint job on the truck because you don't want to have too thick of a film build if you want it to last.

I tried but he was a total jerk ,said he wasn't going to fix anything.It was a free paint job for me as a guy hit the truck.But that's not the point.You can see it in person,it's so bad on passenger side of bed,it looks like a totally different color!I just want to sand it down (clear)and shoot the flake again.I'll apply it thicker and cover all his screw ups if possible.Just wanted to see what you guys would do!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:25 am
Doesn't look like flake by the picture, looks like metallic.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 am
Orion Silver BC-02 sucks to spray

best over HoK silver sealer.

id call it good and keep driving it.

flake does not look good unless it is all covered. and there it looks to be just a light flake which IMO is a bad choice.

but overall the truck looks good
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:00 am
PainterDave wrote:Orion Silver BC-02 sucks to spray

best over HoK silver sealer.

id call it good and keep driving it.

flake does not look good unless it is all covered. and there it looks to be just a light flake which IMO is a bad choice.

but overall the truck looks good

Thanks,yea he didn't listen to what I wanted ,I told him I wanted ultra mini flake.I didn't want to be able to see the flake as I knew it would make the paint look like pepper flakes on silver.In the sun or under a light at night,it looks like a bass boat,lol..I should've just went with the silver!Good to know about shooting the silver,makes sense.Hell,I may just repaint it all myself!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:00 pm
Lit549 wrote:Thanks,yea he didn't listen to what I wanted ,I told him I wanted ultra mini flake.I didn't want to be able to see the flake as I knew it would make the paint look like pepper flakes on silver.In the sun or under a light at night,it looks like a bass boat,lol..I should've just went with the silver!Good to know about shooting the silver,makes sense.Hell,I may just repaint it all myself!

If you are going to do it yourself.

1) Use the HOK Silver Sealer - Nice stuff
2) You can add more flake to the BC silver
3) Get some decent size test panels, put a crease in em, then use a few different combos of flake to get the look that you want
4) Write down your notes on the back of each panel
5) Take them out in the sun after clearing to make your choice
6) Be prepared for a lot of prep work and material costs
7) Bug the $h!t out of PD (Painter Dave) and others on this forum with questions!!!!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 pm
Silvers are bad enough to work with sometimes but wow, doing a chrome flake in a clear coat over that is just asking for trouble. You've got a more reflective flake above your fine metallic base so it's like the opposite of a tri-coat. Man, I'd have to have a Sun Gun in one hand and my spray gun in another..... not saying you can't fix it, but you might want to practice your technique some on some old doors/fenders, etc.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:39 pm
Here's a few closer pics,trust me,it isn't small flake or metallic.
Attachments
IMG_20180125_155443.jpg
Screenshot_2018-10-04-23-27-11.png

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:22 am
you cant "pepper" flake.

it never looks good
Attachments
4.jpg
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany