weird white scuffs on black paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Croatia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:31 pm
so i have a 2004 toyota rav4 black, before that was another black car, i wash them the same was as most people here at the wash, with the soap, wax, rince method being at almost all car washes, i usually do the self serve ones, but recently i saw these marks coming up, it was also on the other black car i had but idk what they are and i cant simply wash them off, also visible around the handles, any help as to why these occur would be appreciated and some solutions
https://imgur.com/a/Q85YVPf
https://imgur.com/22gNjPv

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:27 pm
I think it looks like scratches in the clear coat.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Croatia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:28 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I think it looks like scratches in the clear coat.

it more is like a white patch like when you touch something with grease, idk really, its not like a scratch though

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:33 am
Have you ever had your car go through an "automatic" style wash which might use large spinning cloth brushes? Even manual washing with a cloth or brush that has a lot of dirt/grit contamination can make an area look hazy because it is a series of fine micro scratching. Dirty sponges can even do that as well. On most other color cars you wouldn't see it but with black it will always show up......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:51 am
thats quite typical from the sanding mop and sanding broom car washes. a lot of that may be able to be buffed out by someone that knows how to use a buffer and do paint correction. heres a closeup of a rig i did a few years ago(pics are backwards- top is after). close up doesnt even come close to how bad it was neglected. i wasnt able to get it back to factory or better but it looked a lot better after an afternoon.
Attachments
neglected paint1.jpg
neglected paint.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:13 pm
So, yeah, that's what I was thinking as well....you need paint correction. And, is that available in Croatia? If you are going to do it yourself I'm not really sure what you've got available over there....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint