Pearl/ metallic question for the experienced

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm
I had an old school painter once tell me that when spraying pearl or metallic to pour the base back into the mixing cup during flash to prevent it from pooling at the bottom of the gun cup. Anyone else heard of or tried it?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:53 pm
I would answer that with a question....was he talking about an old style siphon/pressure gun or the newer gravity guns? Old school guys (uhhhh....I might be one of them) did a lot of things different back in the day. We had things like a Binks #7, real metal in the metallics, lower solids lacquers, etc.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:36 pm
He was talking about gravity feed hvlp guns with modern pearls and metallics. Of course, he was a guy that wouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:55 pm
I don't know about the old school (not that I'm young just didn't spray back in the lacquer days) but when spraying a complete I usually have to add more paint to the cup during flash times.

When the paint looks to be pretty much flashed off, I mix up some more in a cup and then dump the remainder from my paint gun into it. Mix and the pour through a paper funnel filter back into the gun.

I normally don't mix up a big batch of paint to start with. Too many things have gone wrong during a spray job (like accidentally spilling the entire cup of paint on the floor) to keep me mixing a quart at a time.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 am
Yep,^^^^^^^^^ that's what I do as well. Back in the "real" old days we used to use ball bearings in the siphon cup guns to keep our metallics moving around and mixed. There were even "agitator" style cups that used some of the gun air supply to keep things mixed.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:01 pm
I can see were it could be a problem with the gravity guns. you spray a coat on then put the gun in the rack for 10 min. of flash time some settling of the flake could happen. it shouldn't be a problem to dump it back and probably rinse the gun one time with reducer. I use a suction gun and just set it down after flash I pick it up and shake it a little and spray, I do use a gravity gun for the clear coat. and yes I'm old school, I do have the Binks # 7 and the agitator cup setting on the shelf.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:09 pm
Ha, ha, finally.....I feel a little less old....... :rotfl: You tell em' Jay.......

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:27 pm
i use both 3M PPS and SATA RPS its not really much of a problem these days between flash times. if im doing flake jobs i just turn the gun upside down with cup attached then shake it before next coat. i got a few binks 7 myself.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:51 pm
DSCN7091.JPG
go ahead laugh your self to death old is fun.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:45 am
Hey, I can't laugh! I learned with a binks 7 and the Sharpe version. With acrylic enamel! And I well remember the agitator cups, too. Maybe I'm old school and didn't know it.

Return to Body and Paint