Silver candy?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:20 pm
Hey guys,
I recently saw a custom motorcycle which had an amazing paint job. The owner wasn't the original owner, and only new that he called the paint color, "black ice." It looked like a silver candy sprayed over a black base. In the light it was silver, and out of direct light it looked black. And yes, I know that it's not a true candy if it's not sprayed over gold or silver. For that matter, it may have been a black candy sprayed over silver. I couldn't tell. Either way, it was an amazing effect that I would like to try. I asked at my local auto body supply. They were diamont vendors, and she didn't know. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to recreate it?
I also know that candies take amazing precision, and although I've never painted one myself, I did work in a paint shop as a painter for around 6 years, it was just insurance work, but I have shot a few cars and want to try some custom work.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 pm
Hmmmm..... did it look something like this.....
http://www.tcpglobal.com/KUS-PCB-8518-4 ... 8f8tGhKiUk
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 pm
Not quite, it was very subtle on the metallic flake, and had real depth to it which is why I thought it must have been a candy. Overall it had more of a pewter grey appearance to it, but it was definately a tri stage of some sort.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:53 pm
I've been searching online, this is the closest I've found but not quite as dark in the contrast.
https://www.paintwithpearl.com/shop/can ... dy-pearls/

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:11 pm
Ha, ha, I was going to send you over to Paint With Pearl next to look around. Could have just been a silver like that with a thinned down black intercoat over it. We do an effect on woods called "transparent black" to change up underlying wood stains. Essentially it is a black candy effect over those stains.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 pm
Thanks. I might have to order some and experiment

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Cooperfun wrote:Thanks. I might have to order some and experiment

If you cant get ahold of the guy that actually shot it, you will need to experiment and shoot some test panels.

Even if you did find the guy (and he told you the complete truth) you would need to shoot some test panels.

I learned to shoot test panels, and write on the back what the base is.
Black primer/Egyptian Gold BC with So and So's gold pearl

Then I tape off sections of the BC or whatever base I am trying out, then shoot progressive amounts of candy or pearl or flake or whatever I am trying to achieve.

I end up with a panel that has different amounts of candies etc in different stripes right next to each other. Hope this makes sense. I will try to dig up some photos.

Before clearing and drying - and I use sharpies to write the candy colors or whatever notes on the top so I don't forget - I then can take the panels out in the sun and see what they will really look like. Then I mark that stripes that I want with the effect that I am trying to achieve and I take those inside where I paint as they look totally different inside vs out in the sun.

I had a bad habit on my little projects of adding too many coats of candy, then muddling the colors past where I wanted it.

If I were you, I would try black candy over a fine silver metallic base that has more fine metal shot over that.
I would also try adding some candy concentrate to a silver base.
Then try black BC with a bunch of fine silver metal flakes mixed in.
Then try...just keep trying stuff. And write each step down!!!

The lace on my Caddy's trunk lid I ended up trying five different reds and two different golds to get the colors that I wanted. BTW that is how I found out that the HOK Magenta is probably the most Hot Pink that I have seen!! I almost used that without shooting a test panel, glad I did check!!!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:32 pm
These are some test panels that I did for my Caddy trunk because I am so new to all this stuff I just don't have enough experience to know what it will end up looking like.

These panels are just the base colors prior to adding the different amount or coats/stripes that I end up picking the final tone from.

Once I have my final choice and I am painting the actual trunk (or whatever) I just hold it up next to it until it matches close enough.

Flake II.jpg
Flake II - gold.jpg
Flake off.jpg
Last edited by OldFatBald on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35 pm
I ended up making two different test panels just for the outside metalflake brownish (?) border on the trunk.

I thought that I wanted to use a Root Beer Brown metal flake but it looked like ****, I am glad that at the last minute I went ahead with the second test panel of Root Beer Brown Candy over copper flake.

(X) Final Clear.jpg

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 am
Wow, that is some great advice. And an amazing looking job in that caddy.
When it comes to candies, in your opinion, is there a brand of paint that is easier to use and get a good result? The shop I worked for sprayed diamont, and sometimes ppg, so that's what unaccustomed to. I actually liked how the pig sprayed better than the diamont, but I've never tried other brands. If I'm experimenting anyways, what brand is the easiest to get a nice smooth and even finish when dealing with a candy?
Next

Return to Body and Paint