painting aluminum boat- etch prime or alumiprep and alodine?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm
want to repaint my lund tyee this winter, so researching the proper way to do so. however, i can't seem to find obvious answer.
i'm looking to just scuff most of existing paint, as it's held up well, but is pretty scratched. there is also a couple areas that will need filler. i assume i will end up with some bare aluminum spots, and that's where my lack of knowledge comes in. was told to treat with alumiprep and then alodine, then paint same as steel. also been told to just use an etch primer. can't find anything about using both, so assuming they are two different ways that end up the same. what do you guys say is the correct way? i'm good with the sanding part( i think), more looking to see what products are the correct way? thx

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 pm
I'm not sure I can give you an obvious answer. I've done a couple airplanes and used Alodine it worked good, the paint never blew off but we were doing a large area. I don't think its necessary for a few small areas. the etch prim would work but it usually need a primer over it before the top coat. I think the best bet would be to use epoxy spot prime your bare spots and bondo areas block those and reshoot if necessary. then seal the complete project with the epoxy mixed as a sealer and then color. I've done several aluminum boats and I always used a S/S sealer then S/S urethane, they held up very good. lets see what others have to say.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:29 pm
can i epoxy directly over aluminum? thought it needed etch or alodine first. then i've also heard that i can't put epoxy over etch. was planning on SS urethane topcoat. lund red of some sort

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 am
Epoxy primer is your best bet, over any metal including aluminum.
It's also a great sealer.
Nothing increases adhesion like epoxy primer.
I've painted a couple aluminum boats with epoxy and urethane paint.
It held up very well and really was a strong finish.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:43 am
:goodpost: there you go, that's 2 for the epoxy.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:35 pm
just to clarify, i can spray epoxy primer directly over sanded aluminum? or do i need other prep first? as in the alumiprep and alodine are not required? just want to be sure.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:24 am
I had to go out and look in my file I use a lot of Nasons products and have used there FULL-Poxy 491-16 and the tech sheet says you should use the Alumi prep #33 you need to look up the tech sheet for this as there are a couple way its used. from past experience I can't see a problem with putting the epoxy on bare, bright, clean aluminum with a 180 - 220 profile, no alumi prep. that's basically what the alumi prep is going to do.
so what does your tech sheet for your epoxy tell you?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 pm
all i could find was “ bare metal” and properly prepped surfaces
clean and dry,

i was going to use epoxy primer from summit racing. that’s all the info i got from the data sheet.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:59 pm
all i could find was “ bare metal” and properly prepped surfaces
clean and dry,

i was going to use epoxy primer from summit racing. that’s all the info i got from the data sheet.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:23 am
brunolund wrote:all i could find was “ bare metal” and properly prepped surfaces
clean and dry,

give ya an idea of the awesomeness of the experience here:

noone mentioned flexseal or por 15 for this job. :knockout:

ive seen instructions like that a few times here and there. good ya came and asked because some would think a properly prepared surface meant just wash it.
Next

Return to Body and Paint