Repairing a lacquer finish

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:01 pm
I have an original lacquer paint gm car that got hit and needs a fender. Car has been garaged since new and finish is very nice. Other drivers insurance Co wants to blend adjacent panels in urethane. Told them urethane paint can not be applied over lacquer and refinished panels in clear coat would look stupid next to non clear coated lacquer. Told them paint manufacturers won't warranty product over lacquer. Anybody been here before? Thanks.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:07 pm
What's the color?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:03 pm
From the insurance co point of view it shouldn't matter what system is used as long as they pay for the time and materials. On the flip side I imagine it's going to be hard to find a shop that does lacquer. I would try to work on that first and if you do find a good shop what will do the job correctly, let them deal with the insurance company. My 2c.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:24 am
Thanks for the responses guys. Color is light blue metallic. Body supply shops in my area no longer are selling lacquer. They couldn't justify the space for mixing setups and tint inventory for a product that nobody is calling for. It could probably be mail ordered but youd be on your own for color matching not having any tints to use. The lacquer clear is a really poor product esp when used on a top surface. I can remember hoods cracking and clouding after a couple years. On a side blend the cleared panel looks totally different than the non cleared panel even if you get the color and the blend right. No shops in my area will touch lacquer.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:33 am
Tommr wrote: On a side blend the cleared panel looks totally different than the non cleared panel even if you get the color and the blend right. No shops in my area will touch lacquer.

If you can find the lacquer paint then you need to blend and clear the entire side.
Lacquer is the easiest paint to blend and buff.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:52 am
:goodpost: I think your going to have one horrible time finding a good match to your color in lacquer, then equally trying to find someone to apply it. I'm not saying it can't be done. I think your conception of lacquer clear, hoods crack and clouding is from improper application.
here's what I suggest. you need to get on the internet and search for some restoration shops or hi quality body shops. search down south LA. SD. California that do vintage HI- END cars that are usually lacquer Porsche 356s, Ferraris and so on. get a lawyer and start negotiations with the ins company, its not going to be cheep.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:02 pm
The other driver was at fault. Ins Co hasn't offered any viable technique for repairing but wrote a minimal check.. Lacquer and tints are for all intensive purposes are unavailable. Ins co wont give the whole side. Lacquer holds up great if its a garage queen but this car is used daily 3 seasons a year. UV just kills lacquer esp on top surfaces and esp on hoods. The **** about this is the car is a 9+ and was garaged from Day 1.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:12 pm
Bummer....you do really need a high end restoration/conservation type company that does high end work for something like this. I have a car show buddy that did this level of work with lacquers only. Last show I saw him at he said he was done.....it's a shame....he was a real artist with the older coatings......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:45 pm
Tommr wrote:The other driver was at fault. Ins Co hasn't offered any viable technique for repairing but wrote a minimal check.. Lacquer and tints are for all intensive purposes are unavailable. Ins co wont give the whole side. Lacquer holds up great if its a garage queen but this car is used daily 3 seasons a year. UV just kills lacquer esp on top surfaces and esp on hoods. The **** about this is the car is a 9+ and was garaged from Day 1.

so have you already cashed the check if not
That's why I said you had better lawyer up, preferably one that has knowledge of vintage autos. and you need to start calling some hi end resto shops, they will most likely be able to mix your paint and have the personnel to spray it . I have a 356 Porsche and follow these a lot. there are shops in CA that restore these and yes a lot of them in lacquer. there are a lot of them still on the HI way with the oem finish, lacquer and look as good as the day they rolled of the assembly line. so what kind of car is this? any pictures?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint